or Connect

Posts by kevt

Well it's hardly surprising is it. The context of Job's 'thermo-nuclear' remark was riling against the stolen product ... the OS/advertising cash-cow that is Android ... against Google. Apple has been aiming it's legal-missiles against device manufacturers/android licencees. A few, but most against Samsung as the design of their hardware has aped the iPhone/Pad/Pod-touch closer than others. I'm not a lawyer (thankfully), but I have heard the reasons commonly trotted out...
Shouldn't the headline read Apple grabs more than 99% of the global PC market?   I mean, Apple alone in the cosmos reports what is sells.    I thought that every other company just make products, ship them to resellers, and nobody ever buys them.   None.   They just disappear ...
  Hilarious comment this. iPod aside, chasing niches is all that Apple does.     Simple fact of life is that people have their own personal preferences about screen size, and the closely correlated device size. This is true of smartphones, as it is true of Notebook computers, as it is true of tablets.   Apple recognises this in the last two categories, offering multiple screen sizes in iPads and MacBooks. Time for them to offer more choice with the iPhone. Otherwise they...
  Good post until we got to here. The data shows the opposite: Amazon's tablet market share declined significantly. They did well at first - a trusted brand, good media support, but above all by selling really cheap - at cost and pre-iPad mini. Amazon seems to have lost this initial advantage to Google Nexus and Samsung. And this despite expanding into significant markets that the Fire wasn't available in a year back.
  Or should it? Of course a developer has a large responsibility.   But as the seller, Apple has responsibility too - especially given that Apps have to go through a stringent approval process, which Apple touts as a major benefit of the iOS platform.    Seeing as Apple is so keen to take a 30% cut, maybe they should pay 30% of damages (should it be the case) and the developer 70%.
So not 'cheap', but I do think that a better value iPhone may be on the way.   It's mainly because of the greater divergence in design within the smartphone category as a whole. In particular there are lots of larger smartphones about withbigger screens. I wouldn't want one myself. I've not bought an iPhone 5 because I prefer the 4S size and proportions and I'm still very happy with it. But clearly lots of people do want larger smartphones. I don't see Apple being...
  I don't think either Hyundai or Kia do, certainly any more than any other company. Both have improved their model range and quality over the last decade.   The situation is not really comparable with tablets/smartphones. With cars we are talking mature technology. Yes there are innovations about navigation, in car entertainment, new safety feature features.  But still, most cars are  basically the same old four wheels, internal combustion engine, springs & dampers,...
  You really think so? I think there will be a low-end tablet market - there's a large group of people for whom even $329 is more than they can afford for a tablet. I don't doubt Apple's ability to do well for years to come in the premium sector, and now mid-sector with the mini.    Obviously the data is of very limited use. The interesting points for me were the lack of penetration of the Surface despite very heavy advertising.   And the data shows that in the non iOS...
By paragraph   (1) As a user of Apple products rather than an Apple shareholder, I couldn't care less whether Apple, Google, Samsung or whoever is making more money. I care about the quality of the products I use, not whose pockets are being filled. (Though I resent the Ad-intrusive means inherent to Google's business model.)   (2) Utter nonsense. Android succeeds in terms of marketshare because it competes in every sector. From the high end, where top Samsung models are...
Doubt Apple is worried. So they may lose out a bit in profit margin on some iPad Mini sales that may have been 9.7" iPad. But selling more is more important in the medium term. Having a larger installed base will reinforce iOS lead in software development for tablets. Two screen sizes (one pixel-doubled over the other) means better optimised Apps for screen size than Android where a number of resolutions have to be taken into account.