or Connect

Posts by kevt

So not 'cheap', but I do think that a better value iPhone may be on the way.   It's mainly because of the greater divergence in design within the smartphone category as a whole. In particular there are lots of larger smartphones about withbigger screens. I wouldn't want one myself. I've not bought an iPhone 5 because I prefer the 4S size and proportions and I'm still very happy with it. But clearly lots of people do want larger smartphones. I don't see Apple being...
  I don't think either Hyundai or Kia do, certainly any more than any other company. Both have improved their model range and quality over the last decade.   The situation is not really comparable with tablets/smartphones. With cars we are talking mature technology. Yes there are innovations about navigation, in car entertainment, new safety feature features.  But still, most cars are  basically the same old four wheels, internal combustion engine, springs & dampers,...
  You really think so? I think there will be a low-end tablet market - there's a large group of people for whom even $329 is more than they can afford for a tablet. I don't doubt Apple's ability to do well for years to come in the premium sector, and now mid-sector with the mini.    Obviously the data is of very limited use. The interesting points for me were the lack of penetration of the Surface despite very heavy advertising.   And the data shows that in the non iOS...
By paragraph   (1) As a user of Apple products rather than an Apple shareholder, I couldn't care less whether Apple, Google, Samsung or whoever is making more money. I care about the quality of the products I use, not whose pockets are being filled. (Though I resent the Ad-intrusive means inherent to Google's business model.)   (2) Utter nonsense. Android succeeds in terms of marketshare because it competes in every sector. From the high end, where top Samsung models are...
Doubt Apple is worried. So they may lose out a bit in profit margin on some iPad Mini sales that may have been 9.7" iPad. But selling more is more important in the medium term. Having a larger installed base will reinforce iOS lead in software development for tablets. Two screen sizes (one pixel-doubled over the other) means better optimised Apps for screen size than Android where a number of resolutions have to be taken into account.
     By volume, but this is not a meaningful measure in terms of pocketability or size in the hand.   Area is way more important than depth, especially once the latter is sub 10mm
  Not me. In fact I'm not buying an iPhone 5 because I prefer the 4s size and format. But I can see that there is a market for them. And if you're keeping it in a handbag rather than trouser pocket, then compactness may not matter as much.   Relating that to the main thread point ... if Apple is seeing success with making an iPad range with different sizes, maybe that will translate back to the iPhone. I for one hope we see an iPhone range with both a larger size for...
  The 'problem' Apple faces is expectations to keep the iPad Apps working sweetly without modification. This means it has to go either 1024x768 (iPad 1 & 2) or quadruple the pixel count with the 2048x1536 of the 9.7" models.  The latter would give a 326 dpi screen, which is more than Retina on a tablet. This is overkill - given the 'as good as the human retina' concept. As you imply it would require an A5X or A6X processor for the graphics, and give power (and possibly...
  Couldn't agree more.   It's perverse this "ah, but Apple makes the largest profit" line. This will have shareholders cheering, but Apple charging a lot and screwing me (the customer) out of more money is not something I want to celebrate.    RE Smartphones - Apple has simply conceded the market by only going after the top end. No range of smartphones (it doesn't really count offering last years at a bit of a discount). No large iPhone for those who do want a big screen...
  This isn't universally true though, is it.   As much as I love my iPad mini, a glance at the screen shows you it's anything but 'state of the art'.