or Connect

Posts by bluefish86

The American patent system is completely screwed too.   Companies can sue based on things they didn't actually invent to extort money out of companies that actually innovate and make products (the patent troll problem).   On the other hand, companies who have made legitimate innovations can't successfully defend themselves from imitators.   Then you get into the whole software patent debate...   The world has changed, but the patent system hasn't changed with it....
  The more time goes on, the more I think this is true. Samsung already tries to differentiate from vanilla Android, and they've been dabbling in other mobile OSes for a long time (in an r&d sense, not a production one). If Samsung ditches Android, that will be the start of its death... I wonder if Apple is trying to push things this direction too. It would certainly be in their favour - iOS would be the most mature of all the mobile OSes left standing.
  You're always asked for the PIN first thing on boot...
  How are these edge cases? These are exactly the problems mobile devices are facing now as their use-cases grow.   For the home screen, outdated data shows iOS users average 48 apps: http://www.marketingcharts.com/direct/apple-ios-users-have-most-apps-use-most-frequently-17301/ I bet it's even more now. Anecdotal evidence from what I've seen is that people don't sort their apps, common sense dictates that no one would actually enjoy doing so. Maybe my idea isn't the best...
This.   An overhaul would be a huge mistake, but they've been sitting still for too long.   Everyone keeps asking what Apple could improve: Home screen. It works fine for <50 apps, but when you're up to 200+ it gets really clumsy. You either put in constant effort to keep it rationally sorted (folder size limit and lack of nested folders means re-categorizing as apps get added and deleted), or end up with 8+ unorganized screens like my wife. Multi-tasking. Which apps...
  I don't know about "rare", but thank god. Resetting my SMC every other day is a pain...
  No it won't. This can all be written at the app level. Each app (email, calendar etc...) can have its own PIN lock, make its own secure connection to the server, and do its own encryption on the data before storing it in the app sandbox. To be honest, I always wondered why no one had already done this when my company first deployed Blackberry Mobile Fusion (EDIT: lol turns out someone did based on the above posts)   Why would they have to do anything to break the...
This is news?   http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156409/app-hides-pre-installed-ios-titles-disables-iads-without-jailbreak-u#post_2291646   Yes, if you can convince people to use specially crafted network settings, you can eaves-drop on their network communications.   I always did think Apple should splash a better warning when trying to install a profile, though.
  "Profiles" are a feature for enterprise control of iOS devices, and (potentially) allow for the app to do some sneaky things.   Profiles can also be installed from other sources too, such as email attachments or web pages. You always get prompted first, though.   To see how a profile can modify your device, check out this Apple reference page: http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#featuredarticles/iPhoneConfigurationProfileRef/Introduction/Introduction.html   Other...
^ Exact same here. What do people do to wear out connectors? Swing your phone around by the cord? Unplug by yanking the cord at a weird angle instead of pulling on the plug itself?   Until they can make it work at 1m range minimum, IMO it's actually less convenient. Plugging in a cord takes what, a second, maybe two? But at least then you can move your device around without losing power. You can hold it up to your ear to make a call, play a power-sucking 3D game, check...