or Connect

Posts by bluefish86

Holy crap! I pay $50 a month for 250 daytime minutes, unlimited evenings/weekends, unlimited sms/mms, 6 GB data, $0.10/min long distance, call ID and voicemail. Before I found this deal, I was at $65/month for the same thing minus discounted long distance. What are people doing to hit the $200 mark?!? (I'm in Canada)
  I guess we're saying the same thing - we just disagree on where the balance point lies.  I'm betting that they're at it right now, whereas you think they could safely go a little lower. I guess time will tell one way or the other  :)
  They already have less expensive versions: iPad mini, iPad 2, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S.  They may replace the "old models" with dedicated budget models that sell for similar prices, but going any more budget than what they have right now *is* racing to the bottom.   The only way they'll get cheaper is by designing for price instead of quality, and slashing their profit margins. The first hurts their brand, the second could well reduce their total profits.  Sure they'll...
  Oh I agree 100%. Maybe not "desktop-style" multi-tasking, since the concept of windows doesn't work well on a tablet, but real multitasking nonetheless.   One possibility: It's "natural" orientation is landscape, as opposed to the iPad which is portrait.  The resolution is exactly two iPads side by side, so you could display two native iPad apps at the same time. Updated apps would be able to grow to fill the whole screen if you wanted.  The improved app switcher could...
  I hope Apple's smarter than to try and race everyone to the bottom. Their market share is shrinking, but their share of the industry's *profits* is still huge. That's where Apple excels. As long as they hold on to the high end, they're fine with a 20-30% market share by device count.  The days of Apple having >50% market share are gone, it was only like that because there was no one who could compete. Now there are other companies flooding the market with low-end...
Are they winding down production of the old iPad to flush out stock before a new one is unveiled in March?  I mean the screen is one component, which they probably have stock of, which needs to be flushed out into assembled iPads, which they probably also have stock of, which need to be flushed out to stores, which also have their own stock.   On a semi-unrelated note, I hope they come out with a bigger iPad. I only use my first gen iPad for email, web-browsing,...
  Same here in Canada.  It's depressing how shocked people are when they find out how the cell industry works...   "What?? It costs $700 to replace? But I only paid $150!!"   Or even worse, people who buy contract-free phones but end up staying with the same carrier for years anyways (note to those not from North America: we pay the same monthly rate whether we get a phone out of it or not).  $550 subsidy over 36 months = $15.28 a month you're giving the carrier for no...
My speculation (because that's all this is at this point, even if you're an "analyst") is that we won't see a fingerprint sensor until the iPhone 6. It's too soon, Apple just bought Authentec in the fall.  The iPhone 5S design is likely nearly finalized.   Adding it to the 6 instead allows them to go through a bunch of prototypes and really figure out the best way to do it.  Plus the case redesign would help them make room if necessary.  Have you seen how thin the...
Cheaper =/= cheap   Apple obviously won't make a cheap phone, but I could see them making one that's still good quality and maintains their margins, while not being as expensive as the iPhone 5. God knows they'd sell enough to offset the design costs.   EDIT: And yeah the "see-through" part is BS. Assuming this story isn't completely made up, they probably just saw a prototype part...
  I thought I was the only one! That and track pads that don't have a ridge or texture change where they end and turn into palm rest.