or Connect

Posts by umrk_lab

Office is indestructible ! Office will stay there until the end of times !      
Strange, don't you think ? All rumors turn out now to be positive for Apple ... A miracle ???
      I have trouble to follow your logic, except that for some personal reason you feel entitled not to pay MS for getting Office.   Although I hate MS, I have to say I cannot support you on this.   LibreOffice is indeed not very appealing in terms of User interface, just because if is inspired from Microsoft Office, in that respect. In addition to provide cross platform exchange (through Microsoft formats), it minimizes retraining needs for people (just like me) who...
    LibreOffice can do everything Microsoft Office does, for free (edit : and legally), you know (including .docx files)
"five devices" ? Where did they get that idea from ?
    I think Apple consciously manages the transition from "product" revenues to "i-content" revenues, which will be gradual, due to various reasons, including the fact that immaterial content has still some way to go before it replaces physical content , for some products.   I do not think there is a direct link in between the revenue per customer on one hand, and the i-devices price, on the other hand, except that at the end it will be a question of giant fight in...
    This is the ambiguity about "consumer electronics". In areas where technical progress continues (computers, indeed ..), you are right. But in other areas (TV sets, notably), all players (including the largest ones) suffer. The issue is whether some products will some day (or not, at least in the foreseable future)  get mature, in that respect.   NB : Indeed you are right about Microsoft, who enjoys a marginal cost close to zero (not very hard to make profit, in this...
  Given the fact that, (according to my reasoning), the costs remain more or less stable, whereas the revenues are proportional to the installed base, that would mean a downwards price readjustment which is not observed, at the moment.   In the immaterial content business, Apple does not have total freedom to fix the price (see ongoing trials ...) ....   If you look at the long term tendency in consumer electronics business, prices (or better, "margins", to be less...
    I have heard this argument before, and, although I have of course no Apple figures to substantiate my point of view, I am not convinced. I think the Apple immaterial content business is more or less similar to network services business, where, after you made the huge required investments needed, the marginal cost of a new customer is more or less close to zero. I believe that Apple has passed the break even point, due to the massive growth of its installed base.   I...
  interesting point.