or Connect

Posts by djames4242

I have a mid-2011 Mini running with dual SSDs and 8gb RAM and this thing screams and most of what I use it for. It runs Server, it runs Plex Media Server, I use it with Aperture, and by day it runs Windows 7 inside of Parallels driving dual 24" and 20" monitors. In the evenings I occasionally run some older games. ...okay, saying it screams is a bit of a stretch. But I rarely notice a slowdown. The only thing that would make me upgrade would be quad i7 (yeah, I know that's...
 Or at the very least by someone who needs to learn some how to communicate without looking like a complete twat.
 I doubt there are many of us normal folk who need the capabilities of the Pro version. Outside of IT departments and large development organizations who need cloned and cloud-based VMs or huge VMs running with massive amounts of memory and virtual CPUs (i.e. virtualized servers), most people can get by just fine with the standard edition.
 True - I also miss the inspector panels and often refer to them as one of the reasons Keynote was so much better than PowerPoint. Because I could have multiple inspectors open, I could create animations and rich slides with far less clicks than I could in PowerPoint (because of the need to open and close so many separate dialog boxes to get the same thing done). I once had to collaborate with some colleagues on a presentation and was forced to use PP. I compared the...
This. Of all the features they removed, this is the one I cannot live without. Until this feature returns, I have to continue using iWork '09, or InDesign (which is overkill for about 90% of the work I do, and I'm not nearly as quick using it as I am in Pages).
 Indeed. Honestly, I had no idea Parallels was developed outside of the US. At some point I remember seeing a Renton address listed (which is a suburb adjacent to Seattle) and assumed they were local.  Again, I understand the need for them to make money. If they released free upgrades for everyone for the life of the product, they'd fold. However, again, I'd feel the upgrade fee was more palatable if my $50 covered more than one Mac and if it was less often than annual. I...
If it were for one machine, I would agree. It also feels like these are fairly incremental upgrades which cost $50 each. I was upgrading three machines. Starting with v9 I'm only doing two, but that's still $100/year (or in this case, $100 twice in a year) to gain a couple of minor features, mostly fixes for problems (like v8's mediocre support for multi-screen setups) that really should be provided free. Again, if their licensing was on-par with VMWare's (which provides...
To be fair, they usually do provide a final release that allows compatibility, but you're right, a new major release is required to take advantage of new host OS features. Earlier this year I felt compelled to upgrade from 8 to 9 because full-screen support in v8 was terrible. So yes, I paid $50 per Mac so I could take advantage of full-screen mode with multiple displays. Better battery life and quicker snapshot creation would be great, but I doubt the real-world benefits...
Hmm, also their website is still showing Parallels 9 as the latest...
Okay then. I've been using Parallels since v3 and have paid for every upgrade since. I have three Macs and have paid $150 roughly every year. My Parallels 9 licenses were purchased four months ago. The thought of shelling out another $100-150 (honestly I don't need it anymore on that third Mac) four months after having just done so does not sit well with me. I use Parallels Access too which is yet more money I'd have to shell out, but I would be perfectly happy with the...