or Connect

Posts by djames4242

Define different? I looked at the 17" and put it in a resolution comparable to the 1680x1050 15" (the 17" doesn't support that exact resolution, but I was able to find something close) and compared it to its native 19x12 resolution and did find it appealing. But then I picked up and held the 17" and found that extra pound surprisingly significant in terms of portability. I do have some regrets: I wish I had the ExpressCard slot (I'm one of those 10% who used it on my old...
Two utilities is too much complication? That's far less than you have on a standard Unix system. Solaris (out-of-the-box) requires a lot of command-line stuff and the editing of configuration files and manual restart of services to configure and manage a server. Many Linux distributions come with some decent graphical admin tools, but there are absolutely more than two of them. Frankly, I don't think it's appropriate to manage every single system service through one...
Again, Apple is not removing client support for FTP, just server. You'll still be able to download your government forms and even upload them should you choose. If, however, the government is using Macs for their servers (and I doubt they are), then their admins will simply have to download and install a copy of ProFTPD (which is better and more secure than the standard ftpd anyway).
You don't:Code:defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true In some organizations, this might not be seen as a problem. Windows systems by default do not display files that begin with a dot (as far as I know), so perhaps this was seen as appropriate default behavior so that Finder folder settings would be preserved, even on remote volumes.
That was actually my point - server and client are now the same package (although you don't have to install the server components). By including them both, Apple is putting server in the hands of a lot more people, hence the need for Apple to make it more approachable.
Looks like, by simplifying (and eliminating redundancy in some of) the configuration panels, Apple is preparing for the Server edition to be adopted by a much wider audience. As for the near-elimination of FTP and NFS server protocols, FTP is rarely used anymore (at least not without SSH/SFTP), and any pure Unix shops utilizing NFS are almost certainly using Solaris (or another flavor of Unix) for file serving. As long as OSX still supports these protocols as a client,...
I disagree. Had the 500gb 7200rpm option been available in-store, I'd have gladly given up the extra storage for the speed. This new-gen MBP replaced my original 1st gen MBP. When I purchased that machine I paid to upgrade to a faster drive (they originally shipped with a 5400rpm 80gb drive; I paid to upgrade to a 7200rpm 100gb drive). Last year I went against the advice I read online when I upgraded its drive. Instead of a 7200rpm 500gb drive I went with a 5400rpm 640gb...
Sounds to me like your drive may have some issues. It may be a physical drive issue that requires hardware replacement, or simply some corruption. I'd boot from your install disk and run disk utility. If your hard drive does not show up in the list of available drives, then you likely have a hardware fault. If it does show up, select it and look at the SMART status at the bottom right. That can show indication of a potential hardware fault. If you're looking good...
I would think so... The App Store app does recognise that I have Aperture and the iWork application installed. None of them have been updated since the App Store went live so I don't know if updates will be delivered that way, but I would sure think so. The same should hold true for non-Apple apps. ...unless, of course, the App Store only took an inventory of my applications when it was first installed and now will not recognise subsequent application installs. I don't...
The ecommerce part sounds like a 'Pro' feature and is almost certainly supported by FileMaker Pro. Bento is a personal database and isn't designed to be used this way... As for generating nice html pages, that does surprise me a little bit considering tools like Delicious Library can do this. I haven't played with Bento much, but I wonder if it wouldn't be possible to export your data into another tool that could generate the html.