or Connect

Posts by djames4242

Sorry, the smily was meant to imply my tongue was planted firmly in-cheek.
While touring the factory recently, I wonder how Tim Cook felt about Apple devices being assembled by a factory using Windows systems to monitor the production quality
  The upshot of the built-in apps is the instantaneous push you don't get with third-party apps. If you've got notes you need access to and find yourself without access to a data connection, you've got to remember to fire up Evernote before you lose that data connection or you're out-of-luck. On the other hand, if you update your notes using Notes.app (or presently via Mail.app), those changes will nearly immediately be pushed to your iOS devices via iCloud.   That said,...
  While this is true, I believe what was being discussed originally was using the Finder (or Windows Explorer) to copy music to your device. That is not supported. Enabling the use of an iPod as a storage device is nice for carrying files (I do it with my iPod Classic), but I still have to use iTunes to manage music. Not that I mind - perhaps I'm in the minority, but I actually like iTunes. I think its smart playlists are pretty powerful. I never understood how Windows...
  But again - why are they singling out Apple when Microsoft, Liquid Audio, Yahoo, and others were all doing the exact same thing? In fact, they were doing the exact same thing at the same timeframe as music purchased via Rhapsody was DRMed and would not play on unlicensed devices (including the iPod). So if they're going to sue Apple, they need to also sue Microsoft, and they need to sue themselves. Otherwise, they're nothing but hypocrites looking for a buck.
  I think we all recognize what the lawsuit is about. It's about a company that failed to hold its marketshare and is using a lawsuit to extract money. Apple was forced to use DRM by the record companies. Real found a way around their DRM by reverse-engineering it (which was illegal) and Apple was no doubt compelled to lock this workaround out in order to ensure their continued licensing agreements with the record companies. Real used its own DRM, as did Microsoft, as did...
  Ditto. Frankly if this lawsuit goes through and Real is not implicated as a defendant then I call BS. I mean I purchased music from Rhapsody back in the day and I can't play it on my iPod without going through the same conversion process one would have to go through to get a DRM'd iTunes file onto their deprecated devices. Better bring in Microsoft and all that "Plays For Sure" content that surely won't play on my iPod either. Anyone remember Liquid Audio? I bought...
We'll have to see if this goes through. The judge worked for years in both Palo Alto and Santa Clara (practically Apple's backyard). My letter was dated March 29 yet I didn't receive it until May 8. Clearly the wheels of justice are turning at a snail's pace. The judge is retiring in August, and at the rate things are moving, the lawsuit won't be settled by then.
  I got my email a few days ago. Unfortunately, I suspect that opting out doesn't mean much, only that the lawyers will get to hang on to your settlement portion. If that's the case, I'd rather get the payout - it'll probably amount to just enough for me to buy a couple of tracks from the iTunes store. That way at least some of that money goes back to where it belongs.
  Um, yeah. I do it every weekday from my desktop machine at work where access to external email through a pop3/imap connection is blocked. iCloud.com is the only way for me to check my .mac/.me email.