or Connect

Posts by djames4242

Unfortunately, as svnipp alluded to in an earlier post, I seriously doubt this would make any difference. Corporations (particularly public corporations) are so fixated on short-term profit that they won't invest more money today to save money tomorrow.
Virtualization of Mac OS X Server has been available for years. Starting with Lion, you can now virtualize Mac OS Client. The thing is, you can only virtualize it on Mac hardware.
I work for one of the largest corporations in the world. Surprisingly, they don't do anything to block access to network services, but they don't necessarily encourage other platforms either. I work on a team of 23 people. The company provides Dell or HP laptops running XP or Vista (Windows 7 is still being 'evaluated'). These laptops would cost a normal human about $600, but for some reason my company leases them instead. We pay about $150/month (if memory serves) over...
That's not how I do it... (At least this works in Pages): Stay in pages File->Duplicate Edit File->Save a version Enter new filename While it's certainly confusing at first (because it's different), now that I'm used to it I actually think it's a bit easier than the old way.Open Recent, yes. Save As... No, at least not in the Lion-aware apps I use (iWork). Save As has been replaced with Duplicate. The end result is the same thing, only Save As requires you to give it a...
I didn't notice any increased battery life when I put the 5400rpm drive in (that was one of the concerns I had read about with the faster drives). I also didn't notice any perceptible noise with the 7200rpm drive. Then again, the first-generation MBP had plenty of other noises that might have covered up the sound of the hard drive anyway That was my thought. I also use the optical drive about three times a year. For those circumstances I picked up an external case for the...
I'm inclined to agree. FWIW, I did a lot of reading up on 5400 vs 7200rpm drives when I decided to upgrade my first-generation MBP with a larger drive. I'd originally paid extra for the 7200rpm 100gb drive, and when I ran out of room bought a 5400rpm 640gb drive because so many people had said there wouldn't be a discernible difference in speed. Those so many people were wrong. My machine felt like molasses had been poured inside... This time around I did it right - I...
You have 15 days to exchange it, so why not? Now if there's a restocking fee involved, I probably wouldn't bother. You won't notice the extra 100mhz, and for less money you can upgrade the hard drive yourself to not only have the 500gb of storage, but with a 7200rpm drive (which, believe me, you *will* notice).
LOL - that's exactly what I was thinking of when I read these upgrades were coming (although mine is the top-of-the-line 15", which I didn't really want but it was the only way to get the matte, high-res display in-store).
Yep - I upgraded my early-2011 rev to 8gb for about $45 via NewEgg. Apple's memory upgrades are no longer the ludicrous prices they used to be, but they are still unreasonable for anyone who feels comfortable turning a couple of screws on the bottom of their machines!
...and I am annoyed and depressed with all the details coming out in advance of the book's release. I get that this is news and that AI wants to report on this, but I'd kinda like to read the book without feeling like I'm going into a movie knowing how it's going to end, in a manner of speaking.