or Connect

Posts by djames4242

I did exactly the same thing which led me to purchased the 1st-gen AppleTV. $100/month for Comcast = $1200/yr. With season passes anywhere from $20-50 that's between 24-60 series I could purchase. Since I watch about six shows religiously, I save about $1000/yr (plus no commercials and I can rewatch shows if I want).You know you can pair your remotes, right? By default every device will see every Apple Remote, but you can pair them so that you won't accidentally trip the...
What a bad idea. Releasing the Zune yeah, but more importantly killing it so soon. Soon? Yeah, soon. After killing Plays-For-Sure with the Zune, and then killing the Kin within months of its release, and now killing the Zune after just a few revisions. It's hard to believe any vendors will take Microsoft seriously with future endeavors that don't involve already well-established products.
It did use desktop memory, but due to the size of the box it was limited to a single slot. It was also limited to a single gig of memory. Having taken apart both my G4 and C2D Minis a few times, I don't think they really could have used desktop components, although by removing the optical drive in the server model, they could have possibly made room (especially in the current model with its wider footprint) for a 3.5" HD. But then Apple's priority wasn't to squeeze a...
This is great news! No, I'm not crazy (nor rich) enough to spend $1600 on a memory upgrade, but I wondered if there was some (possibly artificial) reason why these machines maxed out at 8gb of RAM. Five years ago I purchased the first-gen MBP with 512mb of RAM and immediately upgraded it (thanks to MemoryToGo and about $200; I was not going to pay Apple $800) to 2gb. Within about two years I found it woefully insufficient, particularly since I'm very frequently running a...
Keep in mind too, and maybe I'm believing this because I'm fairly new to the idea of SSD, but I've also read that some of these drives (such as the OWC Mercury) come with controllers that themselves handle the garbage collection that is otherwise dependent on OS-level TRIM support. Obviously some more research is needed, but another consideration isn't just the internal GC vs TRIM that Apple's drives support, but the fact that Apple's drives perform about half as well...
As mention, it has been around awhile. I just picked up a new 15" last weekend and debated between the hi-res 15 and the 17". Ended up with the 15 and love the display. It's a very noticeable upgrade from my old (1440x900) 15" MBP.
As mentioned, it can depend on what you're doing with the machine. Judging from everything I've heard and read, the SSD is going to make your user experience a lot snappier. I bought the 2.3ghz upgrade, but only because it was the only way to get the hi-res matte screen in-store. I've read that nets approximately 4% in speed (up to 9% in some tasks). If you're doing a BTO, I personally don't think it's worth the cost. I'd personally invest in the SSD and upgrade the memory...
I took a look at both in the store as I was having a hard time deciding (my 1st gen was not available in glossy, I got used to it, but found the glossy appealing). When I saw them side-by-side I opted for matte and have absolutely no regrets. I love it!
So - I've just picked up the fully-loaded 15" and want to add a SSD. OWC has an awesome looking kit with a 120gb SSD and bracket for under $300. Keeping in mind that the optical drive is connected to a slower port, I assume this means I should move the traditional hard drive into the optical drive bay (and its slower connector) and then install the SSD into the traditional drive back to take advantage of its faster connector? Seems to me that having a 5400 RPM drive...
[QUOTE=Sorensen;1824928]How do I make the alternative boot volume, and can I switch between the two volumes quick and effortlessly?[quote] Two ways: Plug in an external drive, use Disk Utility to format it as Mac Journaled, pop your OSX disk in and tell it to install onto your external drive.Repartition your existing drive using Disk Utility, pop in your OSX disk and install onto the secondary partition. I'm not sure if Disk Utility can non-destructively repartition an...