or Connect

Posts by djames4242

Not sure about the headline. Before I read the article, I found myself wondering what sort of fluid the game controller was leaking! :)
 Yeah, thanks - I've tried that. Flipped it on and off a few times, restarted, disabled extensions and plugins. Still not working for me, unfortunately. I'm sure it's something simple and stupid since it only seems to be happening to me :)
Enhancements? About just allowing me to view a PDF in Safari. Since Mavericks DP2 clicking a PDF link inside Safari brings me nothing but a page full of its binary content...
I got my 5S a few days after they went on sale and noticed battery life that was about half that of my three-year old iPhone 4 and was a bit worried. Certainly the first day was the worst as it was busy restoring apps and my iCloud backup but battery life three or four days in was still poor. I'm not sure what's changed, but in the past week my battery life has been phenomenal. Perhaps those moaning about their battery consumption should give it a few days to settle down?...
 Just in case this thread hasn't been sufficiently jacked... ;-) I also loved iWeb and used it to create several travel journals and did a little bit of blogging with it. With the integration with MobileMe, it was a rather easy way for average folks to create websites (and this coming from a guy who gets paid to build internal websites using PHP, Java, JavaScript, and AJAX against MySQL). It seemed like a short-sighted decision to kill it. Your thoughts take it even...
 Yeah, for now iWork '09 works just fine. Eventually compatibility will break I presume. Maybe not: I'm amazed that iWeb still functions even though it's not been updated since what, Snow Leopard days?
 My suspicion (as seems to be the conventional wisdom) is that Apple more-or-less ported over the iOS versions of iWork to OSX (after all, didn't Apple proclaim these were rewritten from the ground up?) and that's why a lot of functionality was removed from all of the apps. I sincerely hope that Apple begins adding back what's missing and enhanced beyond what we had before. Migrate what was once Bento into the suite, give Numbers some real power (more functions, pivot...
 Indeed. I thought I'd better pull up some of the newsletter templates that come with the new Pages to see if they use some of the features that appear to be missing. It looks as though they are emulating some of the stuff that used to be available with linked text frames by flowing text around some frames external to the main text body. That's a hack that would certainly be useable in simplistic layouts, but I've created some fairly complicated newsletters and technical...
 Thanks. Or not. That's absolutely, positively, utterly, and completely not what I was talking about. Have you used Pages prior to this version? Do you remember Page Layout vs Word Processing mode? You know, the one that allows you to rearrange pages, delete pages, insert pages in the middle, and (most importantly) create linked text frames? You know, all that Page Layout functionality that isn't there anymore? If I'm just being lazy, then please do tell me where all this...
I disagree on iWork. I have been a heavy user of Pages since iWork '08 and have found it far preferable to Word. It may not have all the functionality of Word, but it does have all the functionality I need. At least it did. I live in Page Layout mode which has been removed from v5 rendering the new version useless to me. This isn't about disliking change, this is about having functionality critical to my workflow removed. For now, at least, I will continue to use Pages...