or Connect

Posts by djames4242

Thanks for finding one more reason not to love the new iWork. I loved perspective too! Here's hoping I like the new Numbers at least since I'm not sure I'm going to like Keynote, and I already hate the new Pages... Phhbbbttttd!
 The inspector window was very small and concise. I'm not sure how they could make it use less real estate and still be usable. However, the inspector pane is now an inspector panel and not only uses more real estate, but you can only have one of them open at a time. It's nice that it is contextual, but (particularly in Keynote) I frequently had more than one inspector panel open at a time. I'm so glad Apple gave us the updates for free. I love Pages and was ready to...
 Quite possible that the new iMovie relies on grand central dispatch technologies to offload rendering operations to the GPU requiring a newer GPU than your iMac has. It's unfortunate that a six year-old machine is being obsoleted, but that's not bad the way Apple has been going lately...
 LOL - I resemble that remark, only I write code for a living. As long as I can see my source, I guess I'm happy. And I'll be happier if the occasional Final Cut Express and Aperture editing I do is still doable. In other words, I'll shut up now and reserve judgement on the screen until I see one. I've spent plenty of time inside the Apple Store, but I admit I haven't looked closely at the displays since I've not been shopping for a new computer lately. I stand by my...
Back on topic though, has anyone used any of these updates and can comment? I love Pages and was ready to spend $20 for another copy, but then I looked at the screenshots and am not sure I like what I see. Or rather, what I don't see. One of the things about the iWork apps that makes them work so well for me is the integration into the Inspector panel(s) which allow for rapid formatting without the use of multiple dialog boxes (read: Word and PowerPoint are horrible, Pages...
 I keep thinking the same thing. But then I went over to the Lightroom site and perused the version history on Wikipedia and honestly couldn't find much functionality in Lightroom that is missing in Aperture (aside from tight integration with Photoshop). I'm not saying Aperture isn't in need of an update, I'm just not sure what that update should be :)
 Yeah, it seems that once you get the free copies on an eligible device, you can get them on other devices as well. I downloaded all the freebies on my 5S and was then able to install them onto my iPad Mini.
 Yeah, if anyone figures out how to get the retail box versions (which cost more than the MAS versions) registered on the Mac App Store for free upgrades to the new version, please let us know! Annoying that iWork on DVD cost $79 and is not eligible for the same updates that the Mac App Store purchased versions (which cost $60) are...! Still wondering if the next version of Aperture (if it ever comes out) will be eligible for a free upgrade over the MAS. I paid $200 for v2...
 Good to know. Sounds like that's one thing about the new rMBP that I won't hate :) Sounds like you all are implying the new glossy screen is better than the old matte screen? Best of both worlds, so-to-speak? I still wish it used proper memory and laptop form-factor drives. a couple mm of thickness means nothing in comparison to being user serviceable!
 Okay, I'll make that claim. I'm looking into my matte screen right now and all I see are the illuminated bits on the screen. I see no reflection of myself, the light in the living room behind me, the cat sitting on the sofa behind me, nothing. The new glossy screen appears to be an improvement on the old, but it's still a step back from the matte.