or Connect

Posts by djames4242

Point taken - there are some great shows. I haven't seen Boardwalk Empire or Luther, but I love the other three. I also just finished up Broadchurch (another great British drama) and loved it. There are definitely a handful of great shows, but I have preferred to ala carte them via AppleTV/iTunes. It's cheaper than paying for cable, there are no commercials, and I basically own the rights to re-watch them when I want. Unfortunately, some of the great shows (like GoT) are...
 I think what makes me more frustrated (and all the major carriers do this) is that that subsidy is allegedly built-in to the monthly service charge. Over the two-year contract, you pay off that subsidy (and as you noted, and then some...). I kept my iPhone 4 for a year extra after the contract was over, yet I still paid that same monthly charge. The carriers should lower the monthly service charge after the contract is up in an attempt to retain their customers!
 Part of the reason I'm not switching to a mobile share is because I still have a feature phone on the account under contract. My Mom uses is about three times a year when she drives from California to Seattle. The rest of the time it sits in a drawer. Moving from a family plan to a shared data plan would up that phone from $10/month to $30/month. Just dumb. In November that phone is off contract. It looks like I can sign her up for a pre-paid account on T-Mobile for $10...
 Unless my math is off, it's $1440 for the account, $480 per line. I think that's still more than the difference (or close to it) in cost between a contract and off-contract phone. And you're right - it comes with unlimited data. Not as huge a savings as the original message (or yours) implied, but still it's a savings and true unlimited data. And I guess it has the additional benefit of not requiring a contract. Sounds like a win-win :)
 Too bad - I thought (and hoped) there was a federal regulation requiring this. Given the choice between paying a minimum of $70 (plus another $20 in taxes and regulated charges) and not watching TV, I'd choose not watching TV any day. There just isn't enough good content to justify that kind of ripoff. But for $15/month, at least I could watch local news and sports.
 Does it not work out to cost about the same though because you're buying phones off-contract and paying full price? I'm looking at their plans and it looks like it's honestly about the same price. If I take the three iPhones on my plan now, I'm paying about $195. MetroPCS would charge $135 (for their 2.5gb data plan). Over a two-year contract that saves $480 per line. But I'd pay about that much more to buy a phone off-contract. If I wanted unlimited data, my savings...
 Comcast offers a "Limited Basic" package for about $15. They don't advertise it and they don't want to give it to you, but my understanding is that they are required by law to offer it if you ask for it. I had it for years and it suited my needs just fine. About a year ago, however, they started encrypting even these channels requiring everyone to have one of their stupid boxes, rendering DVRs (especially computer-based, as very few of them provide cable card support) and...
 If I'm misinformed, then I stand corrected. I thought it had been reported that people were getting throttled for going over that hidden 3gb 'cap' and so I assumed it was everyone. And as I mentioned in my last post, we got hit with a warning and assumed we'd also get throttled if it happened again. If it's not really happening, then I'll not worry about it so much :) As for the iPads, I've got a wifi-only Mini and we've also got a 3G-enabled iPad 2 in the house that had...
 9g in a month? Isn't he getting throttled? One of our phones hit 3gb a few months ago and we got a text message saying that if it happened again, we'd get throttled...
 ...but don't seem to understand how the 'Grandfathered "unlimited"' plan works or why they think it's so important to hold on to. Once you use 3gb of data in a billing cycle, your speed is throttled to the point of being unusable. At least with the new plans, you have an option to pay extra for additional data use. Currently it works out in my favor to keep my three iPhones (and one feature phone) on a legacy family plan. Once we add a couple of new iPad Minis, I'll...