or Connect

Posts by djames4242

My point is that there are often times better solutions out there. I haven't personally set up a collaborative site using Sharepoint, Plone, Drupal, or anything else; I'm simply basing my comments on the experiences of folks that I trust. From my discussions with them, I understand Plone to be more powerful, customizable, and secure than Sharepoint, while Sharepoint beats Drupal in power and customization (and probably security); Drupal is nice from an ease of set up...
  The guy I was speaking with in particular about this is one of the smartest devs (and most knowledgeable of internals) I know. Back when we were on XP, he managed to hack our local machine administrator account passwords in a matter of seconds (which points out two things to me: A) he knows security, and B) Microsoft security, as I mentioned in my previous comment, has historically been a joke).   I completely agree with you on your second point, however. Going with a...
  From our experience, SharePoint is a cluster. Granted, it may have gotten better in 2010, but with 2007 our devs were basically rewriting the security model from scratch after reporting that what Microsoft provided was (unsurprisingly, based on their historical apparent ambivalence toward security) lackluster at best. The comment below exemplifies what I believe is the major motivation between IT shops choosing Microsoft products: "It's from Microsoft, it must be good."...
Yes. This is the answer. I'm sure these devices aren't selling simply because the price point is $50 too high...
Could they update Office so that it doesn't ask for my license key every.single.time.I.make.the.slightest.change.to.my.hardware.configuration please? I upgrade memory - Office makes me re-register. I replace the HDD with SSD. I have to re-register. I upgrade my SSD to a larger model. I have to re-register. I've had to call Microsoft twice now because I've run out of activations. My HUP license is valid for two computers and I'm preparing to upgrade the second one and, way...
  That'd be what Sears does for my local mall. Always tons of parking near that entrance.
I'm still on my 4. Haven't seen a hugely compelling reason to upgrade, particularly as the 3GS blew my 3G away, and the 4S blew my 4 away. I think I'll continue holding off a few more months for the 5S...
  Yeah, that's what I would assume. The previous post implied that it wouldn't work (which makes little sense to me).
  Hmm, I didn't see that anywhere - although not seeing any mention of the AppleTV, I assumed it was excluded from this Jailbreak (but still hoped it was an inadvertent omission!). Bummer...
  Oh, I have a Roku and love it, but I also have a first generation AppleTV and still prefer its interface. Also I suspect the Plex app folks are using on the AppleTV 2 (judging by the iPhone app) is superior to the one written for the Roku (the Roku app works fine but is lacking much of the interface customization and improvements on the iOS and Mac clients).