or Connect

Posts by argonaut

Yes, I noticed this too while comparing configurations. I would also love to see some benchmarks comparing the two systems. I am not sure I can justify the cost to upgrade at this time, I *may* wait for the next update (my G5 Quad is still doing the business - just! Geekbench ~3300) but very interested to see a performance comparison of those two systems. My use would be predominantly Pro-Audio..
Like the OP , I am also looking to upgrade from a G5 Quad. Wifes Powerbook G4 is being replaced this week with a new i7 15" Macbook Pro - I want (need!) to upgrade my tower! Come on Apple, new MacPro's please...
Woohoo! Checked my order on the UK Apple Store today after returning from holiday and the order status says: Shipped December 2nd !! Extras: Nvidia 7800 GT , Wireless + Bluetooth I ordered it on Nov 21st and my original ship date was Jan 18th!! Very happy!
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I think I am worrying too much. I will probably go for crucial or whoever gives the best price for "G5 compatible" DDR2 RAM. Thanks.
I have a Quad G5 on order, but as usual I will get extra RAM/etc. elsewhere. I normally go to Crucial in the UK for my RAM requirements and never had any problems, but I saw a few posts here & elswhere saying that Apple use Samsung RAM in the G5's/Quads... and people were buying 1Gb DDR2 Samsung RAM from Newegg.com (in the US) Problem is, I can't find any supplier in the UK who supplies anything bigger than 512Mb DDR2 Samsung RAM.. my googling ain't helping. I...
I ordered my Quad G5 from the UK store by phone yesterday.. Custom options: Bluetooth/wireless + 7800GT estimated shipping: 6 to 8 weeks !! eek! Estimated delivery 18th Jan That happened as soon as I added the 7800GT to the order. When I previously added Bluetooth/Wireless option it went up from 9-11 days to 3-4 weeks.. Oh well, as long as they honour the £300 rebate on Logic Pro I will be happy.. They assured me they would, despite the fact that they are...
"grain of truth" indeed! Nice link Babs
Damn.. I've been found out..
Well I am in the market for a new PowerMac and was hoping to see either a speed-bumped G5 tower (maybe to the magical 3Ghz! ) or dual-core G5 at WWDC.. so now my feeling is, if they DO continue to update the PPC G5 PM line I will get one (Dual G5 3Ghz or even better Dual core Dual ) Otherwise I wait to see what Intel offerings there are, but that's a while to wait...especially if the PM line is the last to get Intel.. I really, really hope we get a speed-bumped G5...
Hmmm.. obviously you've never looked inside (or heard ) a dual Xeon. The HP DL380 I just put a fibre network card in has about 6 fans and sounds like a jet taking off... ok it IS meant to be used in a server room.. but come on.. get real... I think overall this is a good move for Apple, sure it is going to cause some problems in the short/medium term, but I for one am in the market for a new Mac and if another speed-bumped Dual G5 comes along shortly I will purchase,...