or Connect

Posts by tinman0

Why? Because 2 years ago it was HTC who were getting special treatment from Google, and from the association did very well out of it. Google have already stated that they will give a preferential treatment to different partners each year. So for the last few months, and a few more to come, Samsung is in the barrel. Now, who could the next Android premium partner be? Hmmm, MMM, it's on the tip of my tongue. Big mobile phone maker beginning with - I want to say M. Maybe...
Not up on porting OSes, but does anyone know if the new Raspberry Pi will run Darwin? Just think a microMac (albeit without the UI) would be quite cool. For anyone who hasn't seen it, the Raspberry Pi is a $25 ARM box (i say box - it's just a board). Looks really cool though.
Which business model? The one revolving around search which they gave up on years ago (seeing as they mastered that), and are now reinventing themselves as everybody else? Or do you mean the Android business model which sucks money out of them faster than a hooker in Vegas? Google's joined up thinking seems to be about giving away the Android business model, and then screwing over their hardware partners further down the road. In the case of Moto Mobile, it also seem to...
Trouble is that I don't think there are many people around like you - eg who specifically want a MacPro. I would suggest you are becoming a rare breed, bordering on unique. Apple aren't trying to wind people up by canceling lines that aren't selling (eg Xserve), they are just doing what any prudent business does which is concentrating on what it does well. Admittedly, canceling the MacPro seems an odd move, as surely they are selling more than enough to make money on but...
I'm not sure Amazin does have deep pockets though. Their last quarter was $68m in profits, which for a company turning over $4bn is not a lot. It's nice to make $68m admittedly, but your a company worth in excess of $100bn by market cap - $68m is what your scrape off your boot. And the Fire loses Amazon money, not makes. Apple treats the App Store and iTunes as something that makes the next hardware sale, as opposed to standalone businesses. Look at the margins of the...
Intel Macs had been long since announced though, so no one was under any illusion that they weren't in the pipeline sometime soon. But Apple won't stomp on Christmas dreams nowadays as there is far too much to lose.
It's easier to say what this announcement isn't. 1. It's not updated hardware. 2. It's not new hardware (ipad, tv, etc) 3. It's not updated software. Reason it's none of the above is because it's too close to Christmas that just went. No one wants to discover that they just bought last years product, whether it's software or hardware. It's not a tv either because that's a big buck purchase - and guess what we just had? Christmas. So no one has any money for...
Erm?.... BAe wanted out of Rover so sold it to BMW. BMW and Honda were definitely not going to work together which is why that partnership broke up. As for the MINI, that was asset striped out of Rover by BMW. The real 2nd generation Mini looked nothing like the MINI, and the designs were over-ruled by BMW who wanted something retro, hence the dreadfully large and expensive MINI. BMW didn't even want the Kseries in the MINI and opted for an inferior Brazilian engine,...
Think it's country dependent actually. Personally, I'm not against a 2 year warranty, wonder if I can source my next Mac in Milan? But the conclusion is that Apple did screw up here, they did break Italian law, and I'm 100% sure that they'll pay the fine and alter their terms. At the end of the day businesses can make mistakes.
"yes I do" No you don't. Apple are replacing 6 year old models that are 5 years outside their warranties. Your friend merely had tv that died within warranty so they replaced it with what they had in stock, eg the company fulfilled it's obligations to the customer.