or Connect

Posts by Cilago

HOLY $%&#! APPLE QUIETLY UPDATED APPLETV'S YOUTUBE APP!   Has anyone else noticed the changes in AppleTV update 5.1 to the YouTube app? Finally, the Watch Later list appears!   This has been one of my biggest complaints with the app since launch. Of all the features to omit, Watch Later seemed particularly cruel. I mean, what's a more likely scenario than finding a video on YouTube at the office and wanting to watch it later on TV when you get home? Until this...
  Except...       Couldn't tablets drive large and multiple displays? Especially with AirPlay like technology?     Isn't it kinda broken on the desktop as is and ripe for transformation anyway?       Ok, I don't have an easy solution on this one. But, that's not to say there isn't one.   And either way, aren't we getting down to a pretty weak and finite set of pegs on which to hang the future of the PC?
  Quick note on "power." It's moving to the cloud so fast. Sony just bought that gaming company Gaikai. OnLive is a domestic competitor founded by former QuickTime co-inventor Steve Perlman. Basically, it's console gaming with the console in the cloud. It just receives controller input upstream, then pushes video back. It works on all clients, from phones to PCs. And, yes, near-latency-free.   The point is that once you have near-latency-free display being driven from the...
  This is really interesting information to me because I'm still struggling with the question of whether we're seeing the death (albeit slow) of the 30-year old Mac/Win-style user experience.   We all seem to agree that the new style OS's will increasingly represent the bulk (or even all) of most people's computing lives. So, as devices become more powerful and the new OS's more powerful, flexible, etc. What sustainable advantages do the legacy OS's hold?   Here's a...
One of the challenging aspects of this conversation is the conflating of hardware and software. Narrowing it down, I'd love to know what everyone thinks of the following question:   Regardless of hardware, activity and setting, are we seeing the beginning of the end of the familiar (and 30 year old) Mac/Windows user experience in favor of more gesture/voice-based UX's like iOS and Metro?   In other words, will our "trucks" eventually run an iOS variant instead of...
ALL SPIN... from both Apple and Microsoft.   The truth is closer to Jobs' car/truck analogy.   There are machines we need for heavy lifting and those we need for everything else. PCs & Macs are mainly for heavy lifting, ie work, ie they're trucks. They're not going away any time soon. We'll just be using cars a lot more often.   "Post PC" is silly because it implies PCs will become a relic of the past, like VCRs, when in fact we still need PCs for heavy...
Very funny. My main point is simply that the business dynamics of having the display be Mac-only, at least for a good chunk of time, did not get in the way of releasing a Thunderbolt display and therefore probably wouldn't get in the way of an Airplay display.
I hear what you're saying, but... Thunderbolt's been out for over a year. Do you know the % of computers that support it today?
Yes, there would need to be an alternate connector on the display, just as an AppleTV let's you connect via ethernet OR wifi.Who else is there? But, seriously, that didn't stop them with the Thunderbolt display. And, as long as there's an alternate connection method, that won't be a concern.I don't know. Airplay performance is amazingly fast when I use it. And there are techniques for getting around the lag problem. I mean look at OnLive. They're doing all the top console...
Why would Pro or Mini users be prevented from using an Airplay display? All they need is access to the same network, right? In fact, it seems this sort of display would be great for Mini and Pro users.They probably don't, perhaps limiting it to 1920x1080Why? This works fine today with iOS devices and AppleTV.