or Connect

Posts by MaddogTurbo

I meant to say "MacBook Pro's seem to have a higher percentage of SATA cable failures", not just a "higher percentage of SATA cables."    OOOPS! ;-)
I'd hardly call it a plaque, but the MacBook Pro's seem to have a higher than ordinary percentage of SATA cables. That's just an observation I've made over time...no statistics to back it up. I don't see it with other units is why it stands out.
I did a Google on "Scannerz" to see what they'd say just for kicks, and they have a page that might be of value to you about Mountain Lion performance. Here's the link:   http://www.scsc-online.com/Activity%20Monitor.html   Nice little tutorial on using Activity Monitor. That isn't just limited to Mountain Lion either. They focus on the mds process and mdworker threads (i.e. Spotlight). Take a look at it if you haven't already.   That said, like the other guy said -...
It's not bad, but it's not easy either. The hardest part is getting the plastic cover off, at least it was for me.   Here's a link to iFixit for your unit:   http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+17-Inch+Hard+Drive+Replacement/891/1   If you look at step 4, that's a PIA. I ended up taking a 1" wide putty knife with tape on both sides to prevent damage to the case, but even after I got the latches released I still had to jimmy the thing off. DON'T YANK IT...
That could be  a lot of things from hardware, application problems, to resource exhaustion.   Previous poster said to open up Activity Monitor and look for the resources being used and page outs. You didn't say what OS you were using. Even Leopard can push 1G to its limits.   Here are some some things to look out for in the system:   1. Running out of free drive space. If this is true and your swapping, swapping would take excessively long. Like the previous...
This probably should have been posted under one of the "Genius Bar" sections of this site.   LOL! An ohm meter built into the Mac! :-)   Scannerz is fault detection software. It's real purpose is to test and detect faults of any sort associated with the CPU, I/O controller, peripheral interfaces, and hard drive. It does this by doing what amounts to surface and seek scans on the drive and using the progress of the scan as a "marker." If a scan detects repeatable...
I have an old Mac Mini with a 1.83GHz Core Duo processor in it. Because it can't run Lion, it's basically been relegated to the role of "entertainment." A few years ago, there were a lot of guys swapping the CPUs in these from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo. At the time, about the only thing that demanded 64 bit apps was Apple's Java (this was several years ago). I was apprehensive about trying this upgrade because I thought that even though the C2D's could obviously run...
You might want to check file system activity. A few months ago we bought a copy of a product called Scannerz for testing hard drives. It comes with something called FSE which is a file system events monitor. FSE is provided because Scannerz is supposed to be run with the machine in as quiet a state as possible, and if something is running in the background that's doing a lot of disk activity, it may not show up on Activity Monitor as a big deal, but it might still be...
Not entirely true. People and companies respond to demands. We currently process credit card sales through a Java based system from our provider. We have two options: Select a "dumb," and minimalist interface intended for those completely oblivious to interfacing with their system, or develop our own system using their Java based technology. The "dumb" interface is exactly what it is, dumb. With Java, we're able to provide sophisticated interfaces, like ordering...
This is one of two things: A really, really stupid move on the part of Apple showing complete disregard for their existing customer base. A very, very poorly thought out and worded "deprecation" announcement. Just last week I was pricing out options for 2 Mac Pro's. The idea being to take what's currently being done by about 7 different machines and put it on these two. There are a few little caveats though: one system relies heavily on JSP/Servlet technology to...