or Connect

Posts by tjwal

There was a window of opportunity but it was closing as early as 2009 as by then their revenue per subscriber was steadily declining. With the switch to streaming they could reduce their per subscriber cost negating the impact of reduced per subscriber revenue. Most of their growth in the last couple of years has been through increased subscription driven by the streaming opton. That doesn't go on forever. They had to choose which business was sustatinable. IMHO I...
I think you have the wrong metaphor. Try this one "Hi, I'm the largest buggy whip maker in the world. I'm going to stop making buggy whips and focus on the new fangled automobile because they are the future." Other than for a very short period of time, DVD rentals by mail never made very much business sense. I'm sure Netflix wants to get out of it as quickly as they can. I do agree that their exit plan has not been excuted at all well.
I said it would be a good fit, I didn't say it would be pretty.
RIM is still pretty strong in the enterprise market where, contrary to what some posters think, security is a BIG DEAL. I wouldn't be suprised if Microsoft took a run at RIM. It would be a good fit given their focus on large corporate users. MS and BB might even add value to each other. Apple doesn't seem to be directly interested in that market. Their penatration to date seems to be a carry over from the consumer market where they do quite well.
I do like my ATV but a walled garden just doesn't work well for TV content. I'm waiting for Rasberry Pi to be released. For $25 it looks like it will do everything the ATV will do plus is open.
Wow is that ever an intelligent comment.
Personally I hope they don't do very well. If they do then large businesses will slavishly buy them vs Apple. If you have MS at work it is more likely you will stick with MS at home. It would be the Mac vs the IBM PC all over again.
Not all stylus tablets use resistive screens. I have a Motion M1400 tablet that uses a stylus and has a hard glass screen. In fact you can hold the stylus slightly above the screen and move the pointer around. The stylus has a switch but does not use batteries.
If the kindle didn't use e-ink i wouldn't have mine. For reading straight text it is way better than the ipad. It works in sunlight and it works fine in a dimly lit room. The form factor and battery life are fantastic-- as an ereader. For anything other than just text the ipad is better. I've recently read a wine tasting book on both a kindle and on an ipad. On the ipad there are embedded videos that just don't show up on the kidle. This book was purchased from the...
That's the only way a smart phone can look, just ask Samsung.