or Connect

Posts by NeoMac

[quote]Originally posted by Masker: I'm making the jump this weekend, and was wondering if OS X is safe to use on an always on net connection.
I've had OSX on a cable modem for 1 year. By default, all the 'net' services (telnet, ftp, etc) are off in OSX. I haven't used the built-in firewall. My file-sharing is on. So how's my system security? In my book, OSX put Fort Knox to shame. No incursion ... unlike Fort Knox, which was raided...
Generally, I don't care. But the latest G4 vs Athlon benchmarks are disconcerting. A Dual 1Ghz G4 loses against a 1.4Ghz Athlon?! G4 vs Athlon The Mhz Myth is true and this time it's working against Apple! Not good. Not good at all. [ 02-28-2002: Message edited by: NeoMac ]

An extremely few applications need to be in the Applications folder, the overwhelming majority don't. It really doesn't matter. The Application folder is at the root level. Inside it you can use folders to categorize your apps anyway you like. But I guarantee you, it is unnecessary. The OSX way of doing things is a lot better. Apps you use frequently you put in the Dock. Any other app you can access instantly by Command-A to open the application's folder.
1) It's totally unnecessary. It's like buying snow for Eskimos. 2) CD burning software is integrated into OSX. It burns & reads the ISO formats. No problem. Toast is only necessary for multi-session. Audio & MP3 CDs are done through iTunes, included in your iMac. 3) You'll need an AirPort or Linksys wireless router and wireless cards for your iMac and PC. File sharing in OSX is handled through the 'Go' menu ('connect to server') using smb protocol - just like the...
[quote]Originally posted by 4fx: However, the gf2mx is dated
The GeF2MX in the iMac is a Ti-400 model. It's no GeF3, but it is hardly dated. But Frankly, it's surprising Apple used the latest edition. I was betting they would use the older versions. If they still use the GeF2mx i in the 2003 iMac, then we can start bitching!
Yup. It's time for Apple to make some G4 'blade' servers. Yeah baby!
[quote]Originally posted by Hornet: So SSH'ing is like timbuktu, without the GUI? How can i send files via SSH, or browse directories?
SSH is an encrypted connection, in this case, between his two Macs. It is command line based (no GUI). Once the connection is established, you can have a tremendous amount of control over the remote computer. How do you do all this stuff? Frankly, you'll need to get yourself a book on UNIX and do some...
I've tried Opera. It's so freaking boring. You sit there in a pernguin suit listening to the fat lady sing and you have no idea what the hell she's saying, which is probably nothing, since how can you learn anything when you weigh a freaking 4-tons! but you do it anyway just so your woman (women ) will smoke your sausage later ... ooh, i just couldn't resist...
Without a doubt, Apple really screwed up by ommitting the 'chapter' feature in iDVD. Major FUBAR!
Well, if you can't share the internet connection through a router, but still want to network the four Macs, then you will need to get an T100 ethernet hub and hook them all up to it. I don't know how often you do these big/huge file transfers, but FireWire, using Target Disk mode, is the fastest way to transfer between two Macs. It is less convenient, but it is blindingly fast - about 40MB/sec - 50MB/sec. [ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: NeoMac ]