or Connect

Posts by s.metcalf

There's a brilliant thread on this running at CNET, which posted a similar scripted "article" posing as "news".  One commentator writes: "Yeah... all of the companies had ominously similar statements about "direct access" and "back doors".   Almost all of the comments are calling the article bullshit.   http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57588337-38/no-evidence-of-nsas-direct-access-to-tech-companies/
I dI did and since you want to passive aggressively suggest otherwise might I suggest that you failed to grasp the potential enormity of what PRISM and Snowden's revelations mean. I don't for a second believe that PRISM is about appropriate requests for data with a court order as Apple (was forced) to imply with their highly scripted response. There is no need to keep such processes secret. In fact the whole point of a court is that it's an open and transparent...
They still used the qualification "direct access" which is as good as admitting that they allow indirect access (such as to non-Apple backups of the data) to all the information described and more. Sure the messages might be encrypted but I don't believe for a second that Apple doesn't store and keep the messages and encryption keys, even if only for essential service delivery and stability, and if the US government could get access to a temporary site and build their own...
So if the Mac Pro is not the Made in USA Mac that was promised for later this year, then what will be? This is only "Assembled in USA" and Tim Cook and Obama clearly promised they'd start "making" Macs in America again. It sounds like they've deliberately stretched the truth in order to score political points. Very disappointing. Assembling is not making!
I can smell the stench of flop from here...
These are great questions and answers, thanks.So a wireless storage solution is pretty much ruled out for the previewed Mac Pro... That leaves pretty much Thunderbolt as the only option. Is Thunderbolt 2 faster than the SATA I have in my 2010 Mac Pro? I'm guessing it is. But if I don't want a Thunderbolt drive or drives sitting on my desk so I guess I'll have to run long Thunderbolt cables...Suddenly my Mac Pro with its 4 drive bays and PCI slots is looking a little...
    I want mine to shoot lasers out of its hole when it gets excited...(CPU load increases)   That and a touch sensitive power button from the Cube please...
The more I think about it, there more I like it and want it!  It's a damn sexy and powerful computer.  I think this should satisfy all those that have been demanding an xMac for so many years (since the G4 cube).   However I probably won't be able to upgrade for another year or so because in addition to the new Mac Pro I'll have to buy an 802.11ac Airport Extreme and some high performance external storage to connect wirelessly, so it'll be quite an...
Have to say that the home screen looks cheap, tacky and very childish. Way too much fluorescent and pastel colour going on. Some of the developments are good but I'd prefer something more restrained and sophisticated. Maybe it would look better with a dark background. If Apple wants an examples of what people want in their UI they should just check out screenshots on Deviantart. The new weather app looked the best.
Looks like internal storage is also a victim here.  Not sure if traditional pros that might also use PCI cards will be happy.  At least it has the performance and latest chips!