or Connect

Posts by s.metcalf

This keynote was ALL about iPhone. Jobs wanted as much attention on it as possible. He also said there will be a slew of new products in the coming months. I would predict (and hope for) a widescreen iPod 80Gb+ model in the same mold as the iPhone but without phone and camera.
I think Monty Python and the Holy Grail is in order!
3 hours to go. What movie will I watch to make the time go quickly?
Sorry for a non-tech related comment, but as an environmental scientist I found that video hilarious!!! It obviously wasn't written by anyone with much of a scientific background. I love the fact that they compare deforestation in the Amazon and desertification in the Sahara and imply there is some relationship between the two! It's also funny how they pull up all these fancy animations and think they're wonderful without even asking how it was produced, what the...
I would like to see more colour brought back but not in a candy-bar way like Aqua, more dark professional looking colours with more choice in colour schemes. Tiger has a choice of only Blue and Graphite appearance. Even OS 9 had more choice in the colour for menu bars and scroll bars.
I wouldn't expect a major overhaul of the UI in Leopard. There will be some colour shifts and refinement but that has always occurred as part of a major "dot" release. If you're expecting something completely new and different I'd be prepared to be disappointed. iTunes 7 is the best indication of what we're likely to see in Leopard. Be careful not to get swept up in the reality distortion field!
From what I've seen, the screens on the new iMacs are very good and I think dead pixels out of the box aren't too common and you'd be unlucky to get one (though I don't know if there are any figures on the probability of one...?). As for how noticeable it might be, that would depend on both the colour and location of the dead pixel. Apple has guidelines on what will qualify for a replacement though if you are really unhappy they will usually try to accommodate and...
You're absolutely right with all of your observations. These are relatively minor annoyances but ones that I hope Apple can address in Leopard. As for points 3 and 5 there are differences in the way 3rd party developers adopt Mac OS X technologies and protocols. The way I see it, Apple has been paying much more attention to the technological underpinnings of Mac OS X so far than the Finder. This is not a bad thing and OS X has come a long way since the debacle of the...
Maybe so, but when Tolkien was writing The Hobbit and LoTR he was writing it for himself not to please literary critics. As it turned out the public loved this simple yet authentic linear adventure where you could lose yourself in another world. There was a distinct lack of this kind of novel at the time and just look at what it spawned, fantasy novels are as popular as any other type of fiction so I guess you could say he was a pioneer. Ultimately, who cares what...
I think the point here is that you should choose what bit rate you're satisfied with. If it's 128kbps fair enough...if someone will only listen to Apple Lossless then that's their choice. I find 256kpbs to be a good compromise between quality and size (I do intend to listen to my music through a half-decent sound system as well as an iPod with good quality speakers). I also have some music in Lossless because I make compile CDs a lot and want them to be full quality. I...