or Connect

Posts by s.metcalf

The eMac is dirt cheap, and a 1.5 G4 would be more than good enough for it and for most of the tasks buyers of an eMac would need!
In the end I went for: 17" 1.8 G5, 512Mb, 160Gb, BT, Wired Keyboard & Mouse I know I could've got the wireless mouse/BT combo but I don't care too much for having to replace/recharge the batteries every couple of months and the cords won't bother me too much. Anyway, I got the BT module added (because I can't add it later) so I've got the option of adding wireless devices later if I want. And if I were to get a wireless mouse, I'd make sure it has a second button and...
[QUOTE]Originally posted by slughead [B]Aurora said the word chinamen and in a whole paragraph about how Apple is taking advantage of PRC slave labor and he's called a racist. How is he a racist? While Aurora can refer to details of the product being made in China...I for one find the comment "those Chinamen" to be not only derogatory but sexist. There are plenty of women manufacturers. Besides, the US agenda for a long time has been to drive globalisation more...
The new iMacs are exactly what I'm looking for and are probably targetted to my demographic as well, which is why I'm getting one. But I still think the coolest Macs were the late-model 1st gen. patterned iMacs (ie Flower Power & Blue Dalmation). They could give these imacs a bit of personality by using the same technique. Come to think of it, you don't see those patterned iMacs on eBay too often. People must really want to hold on to them. Pity they'd perform so...
I've got a question about Bluetooth and the new iMacs. BT is not one of the user-upgradeable features, does this mean you have to get it serviced if you want to add bluetooth later? Also, if you get the wireless bundle (BT, Keyboard and mouse) but you want to add a wired mouse to the wireless keyboard, will that still work? What is the battery life on the mice and keyboards typically? It could get annoying if you have to replace the batteries every two or three months?
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chagi [B]http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040923/tech_test_imac_g5_2.html I like the comment "a song playing in the iTunes jukebox software stuttered while I was rendering video in iMovie"....well DUH! My PC at work used to stutter MP3 playback when I was searching for files on the hard disk!
I think the posters here have just about convinced me to get the 20", I'll be getting it with 512Mb RAM but no BT or AP yet (I couldn't be bothered with charging/replacing batteries in a keyboard and mouse). Now I just hope I get that new job to help pay for it!
More info on the latest 12" In terms of the Superdrive, mine shipped with a Matshita DVD-R UJ-825. Interestingly, Disc Utility says that its capabilities are: CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW. Unfortunately, for some reason it occasionally doesn't recognise a CD that I want to import into iTunes. These are real, official/bought CDs with little or no marks/scuffing. It just doesn't seem to like the way the data was recorded and either...
I'm not sure if it's a new feature in the latest revision of PBs but I think the processor can scale frequency depending on load (can someone confirm this?) Anyway, the quote from the Apple help files is "Some models [latest PowerBooks] support the Automatic setting, which allows your computer to switch rapidly back and forth between the Highest and Reduced settings in order to optimize energy use, depending on how much work the processor is doing." I've only had my PB...
Well after a weekend away (lucky me) I finally got home to my new 12" PB! I have only played with it for a few hours (am still downloading software updates on my slow internet connection) but I must say that I am very happy and impressed by it. It seems very speedy and contrary to other reports the fan noise is hard to hear at all (definitely unnoticeable over typing noise). The screen seems good. I think I have one stuck pixel (a magenta colour) though it's in the...