or Connect

Posts by s.metcalf

I too bought a 12" Powerbook, stock config Superdrive model. Order status says it shipped today. In the end it was Apple's revelation about no new iMacs 'til September that made me decide to take the plunge...I had been holding out with dire frustration at the lack of an update and I just couldn't wait another 2 months. I figure if the fan or hard drive noise bother me too much I'll just sell it when the new iMacs are released and I shouldn't loose too much on such a...
OK, thanks for all the good advice!
Hi, I was wondering if any eMac owners can report on what the sound is like from the eMac speakers. Are they the same speakers essentially as the external ones that come with the iMac?? Because the speakers are so close to the screen do you find that the sound ever distorts the picture? Last time I had a CRT I found that loud volumes would distort the image somewhat (OK I like my music loud!). Anyone care to offer an explanation as to why/how this happens because it...
This one courtesy of Apple found on the Apple store where you can get information about the various various upgrade/custom options "It's especially important to have sufficient memory if you work on large, graphics-intensive files or memory-hungry programs such as web browsers." Hmmm. How much memory does Safari typically use?
I agree on the 13"! I need to buy in the next few weeks and I'm a bit put off by the 12" PBs and iBs as it's just a bit too small for everyday use imho. I don't anticipate using the portability very often but would like that option if I go to a friends place or whatever. I think 13,15,17 inch PBs are a good lineup, each 2" apart. I can't imagine anyone wanting bigger than a 17" PB!! Will prob just get me a low-end eMac to tide me over!
I think you have to wonder whether Apple's policy of extreme secrecy regarding their update schedules is doing them more favours than not. I think, from the consumers' standpoint, we get very nervous about buying something that has been out for more than 4 or 5 months because we've been trained to think that an update is imminent and we don't want to be "stung" by Apple if they release a significantly better product at the same price or cheaper shortly thereafter. If, on...
I think rumour mongering increases exponentially with the days since the last hardware release!!
This is a bit OT but does anyone think the "This is the fastest Mac I've ever used" quote by Bob LeVitus on the Apple homepage is a bit...well....duh!! I mean, I'd be a bit concerned if Apple were releasing slower machines over time! But on the whole update thing I doubt Apple would be plugging the G5s right before a new release. And the G5s are not the computers in most need of an update, these are the iMacs and Powerbooks. The Powerbooks (particularly the low-end...
23" iMac, I doubt it! The 20" is more than big enough already.
Hi dviant, I was asking myself very similar questions about 3 months ago and ended up going for a Canon Powershot S30, which I got a good deal on second-hand. I've been very impressed with this camera; the clarity of the pictures has been excellent. A friend who's only experience with cameras is "point-n-click" took it on a trip to Europe and came back with some absolutely stunning shots. So yes, it does take good quality photos easily in most conditions and there...