or Connect

Posts by s.metcalf

They probably got permission to use the same ones already published on Apple's Tiger preview website. Unless there were ones there that didn't come from Apple???
Hmm, I got 157.25 with my iMac 1.8 512Mb 160Gb HD. If you take out the disk test it goes up to 174.49! I wonder why the disk test scores seem to be a bit low. Still, I'm happy with the overall performance. I would never run it less than highest performance because everything just seems to lag a bit on Automatic. Edit: Well more to the point, the fan noise has never bothered me too much, I usually have music playing so why not have it as fast as it goes?? (which is...
In terms of longevity (like 4-5 years), a dual processor Powermac G5 will do you much better. I'd avoid spending big bucks on a portable. It'll also give you far better performance than the current lineup of Powerbook G4s. If I were you, go the cheapest dual, up the RAM and hard drive, get a 20" widescreen and if you've got any bucks left over get a second hand portable or the cheapest iBook. Remember you pay hefty premium for the pbooks and they'll never be able to...
I was considering partitining the 160Gb drive on my new iMac when it gets delivered, but reading these comments makes me think why bother? I guess I thought it would be useful in terms of re-installing the system not to have to back up to external media. I thought it helps with each major .x release of MacOS to probably do a fresh install but that's a lot of effort every year if the backup process is long and painful. But then I don't install that much software either...
If you've got a laptop, be sure to turn bluetooth off when you're not using a wireless mouse/keyboard to save battery life because I found it would connect my mouse even if it was in a bag in the next room!
Hmmm.. 10 days turned into 3.5 weeks, but its status is "Shipped from Apple's warehouses" and is with the courier company I think. Was hoping to get it today so I can play with it on the weekend but it's not looking that way grrr. Hopefully Monday.
Wasn't there a way to set the drive to Region 0 (ie plays all regions) using some hack? Or is it just that region 0 encoded DVDs play in all region encoded drives??
I bought a 12" PowerBook, which was the wrong Mac, because: a) I didn't need the portability b) display was too small and dim (good for a portable, but dim compared to a desktop LCD) c) using the trackpad frequently tended to cause RSI (granted you could get around this by using a mouse) d) 256Mb was inadequate to run well. Could've added more, but couldn't afford to with the premium price of the PBs. e) 60Gb Hard-drive would've filled with my music collection and...
The eMac is dirt cheap, and a 1.5 G4 would be more than good enough for it and for most of the tasks buyers of an eMac would need!
In the end I went for: 17" 1.8 G5, 512Mb, 160Gb, BT, Wired Keyboard & Mouse I know I could've got the wireless mouse/BT combo but I don't care too much for having to replace/recharge the batteries every couple of months and the cords won't bother me too much. Anyway, I got the BT module added (because I can't add it later) so I've got the option of adding wireless devices later if I want. And if I were to get a wireless mouse, I'd make sure it has a second button and...