or Connect

Posts by Cory Bauer

This is a huge disappointment. I rely heavily on iDisk for image and file hosting and web hosting. The ability to access it directly in the Finder is unmatched to my knowledge. I rely equally heavily on MobileMe Galleries for hosting my amateur photography, a feature that is equally unmatched. One-click publishing to a site that allows full-resolution downloads and private or public galleries is not something that's easy to find. Are there any alternatives to either of...
I dug up that article earlier today as well and they really did call it. I also agree that the huge number of missing pro features isn't because this is a one-dot-zero release, but was a management decision. If this product were targeted at pros then missing features like EDL, XML, OMF generating, the ability to open Final Cut Pro projects, and deck control would have been prioritized over included features like iMovie compatibility, one-click access to gaudy templates and...
What you're talking about is like how Aperture allows you to save multiple libraries, with only certain events in each. That ability in Final Cut Pro X would be a step in the right direction; you could have a separate library for each client, with all of the media contained within. But in my case and in the case of most of the editors I know, we don't want access to all of one client's media all at once; we just want to see the media for the current project and have...
You're bypassing the issue. If you check the "create optimized media" option, how do you control where those optimized files get created? Those are the ones I believe write only to the boot drive, but again I may be wrong.
Dick, are you saying that professionals should ditch their massive SAN and network storage that allows them to have all of their projects saved in one location, and start keeping each project on it's own individual and unreliable hard disk? Because I think that's what you just suggested. And if that's the case, someone should tell the Thunderbolt backers to not bother bringing those massive storage devices to market. The fact that all of your projects and media show up all...
A terrible analogy. No one depended upon Aperture before version 1.0. It's not like Final Cut Pro didn't exist at all before Tuesday. It's a decade-old application that many an editor depend upon to make their living. As of Monday, they were all led to believe that Apple had been working on an "awesome" upgrade for them that would bring Final Cut Pro up to speed with the competition. On Tuesday morning, Apple eliminated Final Cut Studio from it's product line-up and...
You can store media on an external drive. They at least thought of that. But instead of actually working with all flavors of footage natively like Apple promised, the program transcodes it all in the background into a single format; those transcoded files (essentially all-out duplicates of the footage) go to the boot drive, and there is no way to tell them otherwise. That is what I have heard at least, and perhaps the person who said it misspoke. Either way, creating...
First of all, it is not possible to write a review on the Mac App store if you have not purchased the application. Secondly, if a program can't do basic functionality like open its own documents or output its content, whether you spend one hour or one year with the program isn't going to make it any more usable. I've seen this "people just need to use it more" defense several times now, and its rubbish.
The number of blind loyalists here with little to no understanding of a professional editing workflow is kind of disturbing. I don't mean its disturbing that they don't understand the professional editing workflow, I mean its disturbing that they don't understand it but speak as if they know better than those who do. The five-star ratings in the Mac App store are from people coming from iMovie. The one-star ratings are from people coming from Final Cut Pro. What's the...
Maybe 10.6.8 will bring with it all of the pro features they forgot to put in today's Final Cut Pro X release