or Connect

Posts by G-News

You may want to fix the title of the article to "OS X 10.8.3 beta supports AMD Radeon HD 7000 drivers, hinting at Apple's new Mac Pro", because Mac OS X has supported the Radeon 7000 graphics card since sometime in 2002.
Never believe any statistic unless you faked it yourself. The way these numbers are fluctuating, one could think that people in the States change their handset every 3 months. I don't believe any of this projected crap.
Looking forward to the day when there will no longer be the question whether your player/plugin is able to play the video you're trying to watch. Digital video is like one of the most heterogenous contents in IT and it's a bloody nightmare still. A viable standard has to be found and implemented, across all platforms, if they want to digitize TV and get John Doe to buy his movies online anytime soon. iTunes is leading the way at the moment, but that doesn't mean that this...
It's funny how the competition still has utterly cryptic product names. Look at HP for example, or Samsung, especially with their TVs. Sure, there is some kind of system behind the naming scheme, but for John Doe, it's just a nightmare of letters and numbers.
Considering it is safe to assume that a lot of people who are getting the iPad 3 (aka the new iPad) now will be replacing it again in 2 years time, unless you can already benefit from LTE from where you are, you likely will see very little benefit. This is especially true for us in Europe. In Switzerland, the first LTE cells will go online only later this year (and most likely will be incompatible with the current iPads). So really, the screen and faster CPU/GPU is the...
As others have pointed out, several factors have to be taken into consideration. When I said "in a few years", I was thinking a decade, which is what manufacturers for mobile equipment quote (www.sistech.com for example). If solar power was, as Maury claims, such an unprofitable business for those who own the plants, there wouldn't be a worldwide boom and Maury would be out of business by now. Clearly, subsidies and premium prices for "green" power are a big factor in...
Alright, I stand corrected then, as usual on these forums. The situation in the states is of course a different one than what we have here in Europe. Firstly, power is a lot more expensive and solar power has been subsidized heavily by several goverments during the past years, bringing the cost equation down considerably. Lastly I was basing my statements on mobile solar power modules, where installation and inverter costs/losses fall away and the corresponding alternative...
Solar power actually pays off in a matter of a few years from the initial investment even for private use. Given the high usage these panels will get, they will pay off quickly enough. As for the actual payoff in terms of reduced carbon emissions however, it's not quite as good. But then so is wind power, which has a lot of gray energy before actually being productive itself. Last but not least, this is first and foremost an example which others hopefully will follow.
We won't find any common ground with our opinions here, which I thought was the whole point of the forum, exchanging opinions and such. I suddenly remember why I left this place years ago. Obviously some people think everything is just dandy and principle stands over ethics and morals at any point. Money rules it all and if it serves revenue, it must be good. Maybe the patenting system really hasn't changed much, but it's perception certainly has. I'm not a lawyer and I...
Which just shows how flawed the whole patenting system really has become. I really wonder where this is going to take us in 20-30 years.