or Connect

Posts by G-News

not too hard, the jump from teh last P2 core to the first P3 core (Katmai) was rather a slip than a jump. Later P3 cores where quite different though. The P4 also varies already. Northwood si partially a lot faster than Willamette, especially since it has more L2 cache.
you must not forget a few things about the G3. The G3 is first of all a microchip of the PPC family. That means it's not Apple's chip, it's teh product of AIM, and with the newest G3s from IBM, mainly a product of IBM itself. IBM has other RISC and PPC platforms, where the chip might actually be used, Apple is by far not the only and most certainly also by far not the biggest buyer of PPC chips. The G3 will live on in appliances, set-top boxes, consoles, integrated devices...
3 years is a bit far off to think about how computers will look like then. PCs will look the same, that's for sure, but the Mac may as well look like a Teddybear or a pull-over, you never know G-News
let the flames begin, I don't say this will happen, but I hope so: new case G5 DDR 333 RAM and bus Firewire 1600Mbit (Gigawire) USB 2.0 ATA 133 AGP 8x 60-160 GB HD 256-512MB RAM 1-1.4 maybe 1.6GHz at least one dual config, maybe a quad, nVidia GeForce 4 BTO or top model, lower models GF3 ti 200. 3 USB 2.0 ports, 2 Gigawire ports, Airport option, Gbit ethernet, full keyboard and a 2 button wheelmouse (it's about time), new case bigger than the current one, yet still...
I'd say we'll just get a regular speed bump soon, MWTK being my bet, speeds upped just as much as to beat the iMac again, ie 867 to 933 or maybe 1GHz, G4 of course, and the same boards, with the Dual config being the mid range speed again. As well as upping the PowerBooks to iMac levels. I think Apple will hold off the G5 and the new boards, cases, chips, ports and all that for MWNY, I'm pretty sure. Changing basically everything on a desktop line might actually even...
Yeah that'd make sense, I already thought of that weeks ago. 10.2 is MWNY, the last I heard, maybe MWTK if they get some bloodhounds into the Mac OS X developers offices. G-News
That probably already is a custom shaped drive, and they didn't want a slot in there, they wanted it to close up nicely. Nice machine, worst expansion options to date, ie buy it, use it and when it starting to date (to outdate), you can sell it on ebay or trash it. Apple's anti expansion, anti upgrading policy is frightening people away from the platfrom, which is VERY bad. Now I want at least 1.6GHz G5 by MWNY or this might be the only and last computer I've ever...
That probably already is a custom shaped drive, and they didn't want a slot in there, they wanted it to close up nicely. Nice machine, worst expansion options to date, ie buy it, use it and when it starting to date (to outdate), you can sell it on ebay or trash it. Apple's anti expansion, anti upgrading policy is frightening people away from the platfrom, which is VERY bad. Now I want at least 1.6GHz G5 by MWNY or this might be the only and last computer I've ever...
Nono, Apple is actually entering the pron market with their new "iPron" (pronounced "apron") service, for some high end lust factor satisfaction. Of course at about 50$/day. G-news
I don't give a damn how they market it, as long as they don't call it G4 2000+ or something. G-News