or Connect

Posts by fecklesstechguy

You can argue there will be desktop computers - just like there will always be some kind of mainframe computer - there's a need for that sort of thing. But if you are arguing that every consumer will need a desktop computer - I suggest that you are already wrong. only 80% of US households have at least one home computer according to the Census Bureau - which leaves over 61 million people without. These numbers rise and fall percentage-wise as you move from country to...
*Big hug* You have no idea the poor quality of contrarianism we have had to put up with while you've been preoccupied elsewhere!! Whew, now back on topic. And of course, we have to address the obvious elephant in the room, let in by our dear beloved curmudgeon - marketshare. While marketshare obviously is an important part of the equation it is just one part, and the other is....wait for it... profitability. Yes, I used the p word slapppy. I know that upsets...
...the facts were presented in a fair and balanced way - but they weren't now were they? They targeted Apple to the specific if not general exclusion of all the other companies that were working with Foxconn prior to Apple using them. They glossed lightly over the other companies whose volume of units produced not only predated Apple's use of Foxconn, but also contributed materially to the majority market of PCs (for example) and with absolutely no indication that these...
When periodicals were more about news and less about advertising and subscriptions (which is itself a mistaken view because at one level or another, you need subscriptions and ad revenue to keep the lights on and the presses running) and media was less electronic and more analog - there was LESS pressure to generate hits or popularize the "news" and better (not perfect) focus on capturing the reality of a situation. Yes, in those days they may well have led with...
With an aggregate population in Canada of just over 34 million, it's estimated that roughly 5% of the population have a tablet device (1.7 million). I haven't seen the breakdown by country, just best guesses and estimates, but if Apple has that "68%" cited in the article that represents an estimated 1.5 million iPads in Canada.
Men At Work! Who can it be knocking at my door? Go 'way, don't come 'round here no more. Can't you see that it's late at night? I'm very tired, and I'm not feeling right. All I wish is to be alone; Stay away, don't you invade my home. Best off if you hang outside, Don't come in - I'll only run and hide. Who can it be now? Who can it be now? Who can it be now? Who can it be now?
No. This is not a movement, Foxconn doesn't gain anything by callously abusing workers. Many of the workers work overtime so they have more money to send back to families that live below poverty level. People are not saying anything of the sort, and yes it is awfully stupid of them - except that they want media time not actual solutions. Let's review what Foxconn looks like: Hon Hai dba Foxconn is in fact a multinational company and the world's largest maker/assembler of...
So they put together web petitions, generated a bunch of signatures and staged a wouldbe presentation event at the Grand Central Station Apple Store. Let's understand what is happening - they are trying to validate their approach to "activism" (you know I remember when that word actual held some weight). Grand Center Apple Store was used because it was easily accessible to the media - unlike the actual seat of control, 1 Infinite Loop, where they would be asked to leave...
Don't forget that the US is also the market to which a large majority of Chinese manufactured products flow - so tanking the US economy would be tantamount to cutting off your nose to spite your face. No, Proview has decided - "in for a penny, in for a pound" on leveraging a payout from Apple - and they may have the right approach to do it. Good thing Apple hasn't announced a dividend yet - they may need some of those bucks to get Proview off their back.
Apparently Proview wants to leverage as much money as they can from Apple on this. This will be a good test to see what kind of gamesmanship Apple and their supporting staff in China are capable of in dealing with this company. Taking it to court is no sure thing, and while the Beijing AIC has been dragging their feet, the Chinese Trademark Office may take a dim view of any "laowei" heavy-handness in return. I expect this will resolve it self in a month or so.