or Connect

Posts by gordy

There's also the Kodak DC 4800. Full manual controls, and OS X compatible since 10.0. It also has a PC Sync connector for connecting an external flash. Oh yeah, you can get it for less than $500. 3.34MP. I love mine.
It's easy to use my ZR10 as a webcam. Hell, I just plug it in, start up iSPQ VideoChat or ICUII (any app should work), and the audio/video source is automatically detected. If not, go into the app's audio/video settings and select "Canon DV" as the source for both signals.
I have the Canon ZR10 also. I would not recommend it for low light and indoor use. Come to think of it, even overcast outdoor use is kinda crappy. Color accuracy is poor also, everything is bluish. It's a great firewire webcam, which is all I use it for now. I'd hope that these shortcomings are atypical for the mini-DV standard, so stay away from the ZR series. I have seen the ZR20 ans ZR30, both were just as bad as the ZR10.
I don't think the innovation is lacking. Between Sony and Handspring, the features are there. There's just no flair--or a "Ta Da!" to make the product just that much cooler than the competition. Like the new iMac, iBook, or iPod. Seasoned Mac users need that Applesque type of excitement to really get excited about a product. We've been spoiled, I guess. [ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: gordy ]

[quote]Originally posted by pscates: Gee that's funny: all my black, Asian, Hispanic and gay friends and I don't sit around talking or thinking about this. Maybe I have found Utopia...or maybe I just choose to associate with people who aren't hung up on that stuff. All my minority friends are walking around with shoulders fairly free of chips...
Surely you don't think that they'd talk to persons outside of their racial/ethnic about these...
Actually, there was a young African-American lady (with dreads) in some of the original iBook print ads.
You make a point. In Apple's efforts to expand their market share, they would be best served to attract all demographics within that ubiquitous--yet unreachable--95%. Familiarity is one way to do that. Sure there are other ways (robust features, design, etc.), but one likes to feel like they are part of the target audience.
There are instructions for setting up a Software Base Station on OS X at VersionTracker.com. EDIT: Link [ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: gordy ]

Actually, I can use my Palm and look up numbers while holding my phone in the other hand easily. I have big hands, I guess. Won't matter much more, that Treo 180 has my name on it.
The Sony is an ergonomic nightmare, imagine trying to use it one-handed. The Siemens' looks pretty cool, but it seems likda big, though. The Handspring Treo and the Sony Clie 615c are still tops in my book. [ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: gordy ]