or Connect

Posts by Commodus

I'd say there's a chance now because of new chipsets - part of why Apple chose the X1600 when the X1800 was already available was the difference in heat and power. The GeForce Go 7700 just started shipping and should be reasonably fast without turning the MBP insides into a furnace.
Dual-layer is a distinct possibility - my understanding is that it was only the reliability of dual-layer 9.5mm drives at the time that prevented the MacBook Pro from getting dual-layer recording.
If Apple delays an order and the new model is announced before your order ships, you're probably getting the new version. And if it does ship shortly before the announcement, you can almost always ask Apple about either replacing your system with the new model or else getting credit for lost value.
An MBP or an MB is still a much more expensive option - especially if you were looking for the hard drive space and graphics performance of a desktop. Also, let's not forget that the Dell 2407WFP is known to have colour banding issues. I'm not keen on going that route just to get my extra screen space. What Apple would ideally do at the same time is offer the accessible back of the original iMac G5 with the cooling properties of the newest models. That way people could...
I remember the 23" iMac always being a ludicrous rumour in the past. It was always too expensive, too big, too much display attached to a computer, and so forth. But I sit here in front of my 20" iMac and it doesn't seem big enough. Consider this: the current 20" iMac is $1699, but that was before the 20" Cinema Display dropped $100 in price. Let's say that makes the next 20-inch model $1599. The 23" Cinema dropped a massive $300 down to $999. Are you following...
The topic starter is mostly wrong, starting with the title! August: Probably not. WWDC is almost certainly the exclusive domain of the Mac Pro. Apple rarely releases new systems immediately following a major conference, either. Click pad instead of a seperate button and trackpad: No. It limits your input choices and will annoy the large number of people who immediately turn trackpad tapping off as soon as they get a new system (mainly because it's far too easy to...
It's not true. Xeon 5100-series chips just aren't that cheap. In fact, I don't see Apple having sub-$2K systems that aren't using Core 2 Duo instead. Let's not forget that the company doesn't just have to offer a faster system; it has to at least match the existing clock speeds for psychological effect, if not exceed them. Using Xeons makes this harder to do at reasonable prices. I'd rather see a lineup like this: $1799 - 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo $2299 - 2.66 GHz Core...
I can't see Apple starting Mac Pro prices at more than $1999. That would leave a huge gap between it and the iMac. It'd make more sense to have a lineup split between Core 2 Duos and Xeon 5100s: two of each kind occupying the lower and upper spectrums. As an example: $1799: 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo $2299: 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo $2999: Dual 2.66 GHz Xeon $3999: Dual 3 GHz Xeon You'd thus have workstations for regular users who just want more flexibility and power than an...
The most logical lineup, in my mind, is one that mimics what Apple is doing now. I just hope (if somewhat in futility) that Apple will have lower prices on the base models. Here's the lineup that I envision right now: 2.67 GHz Core 2 Duo 1 GB DDR2 RAM 250 GB hard drive 16X DL Superdrive 256 MB GeForce 7600 video 2.93 GHz Core 2 Extreme 2 GB DDR2 RAM 400 GB hard drive 16X DL Superdrive 256 MB GeForce 7600 video Dual 3 GHz Xeon 5160 (AKA Woodcrest x 2) 2...
Putting the system to sleep idles the processor and hard drive. Of course it's not going to maintain the WiFi connection! My car won't continue to drive at 60 MPH if I shift it into neutral (at least, not for very long it won't). Unless you mean that it doesn't automatically reconnect when you wake from sleep despite telling it otherwise - then you'd have a problem. If you need the Internet connection on when you're not using the system, go to System Preferences and...