or Connect

Posts by wakefinance

I would love to know how you came to that conclusion. There is nothing fishy about the way the S&P 500 index weights are calculated: it's a weighted average of market capitalization.  They add up the market cap of the 500 companies included and then divide each company's market cap by the total.  That percentage is the weight that company has in the index.  The weights for all the companies are multiplied by the change in stock value each day, and then all 500 are added...
 Hi, it's nice to meet you bobby!  No, I'm not a troll.  I'm an anti-troll.
 I don't know why Bloomberg or NYT would troll Apple, and I haven't seen it (nor looked for it).  But even if they have written unjustifiably negative articles in the past, which seems counterproductive for a major financial news organization like Bloomberg, this article has absolutely nothing to do with Apple as a company.  You understand that right?
 Bloomberg didn't give any information about Apple.  They used publicly available information about stock performance and known index weightings to make a projection.  Do you attack any source that says something you don't like?  Grow up. That aside, this is an enormously unimportant story.  It doesn't matter to Apple or to its investors if AAPL has less or more influence in the S&P 500 index value.  Indices like the S&P take value from their component stocks, not the...
 That really goes both ways.  If you want a flagship iOS phone (not that there's any other type...) you have to get a 4" screen.  I fully expect the larger iPhone models to outsell the 4" models when they go on sale.
 Where did I say that those phones made up the 81%?  What I said was that those phones are being sold in addition to the phablets, which alone are outselling the iPhone.
Well this settles two things: 1. The high end android phones are outselling the iPhone. 2. Phablets are a large part of the smartphone landscape. Phablets alone are selling 1.6x as many units as the iPhone sells, and there are only two phablets that fall into something other than the high end category that I'm aware of - the two Galaxy Mega models, which are mid-tier phones. Outside of the phablet category are most of the flagship models of the last year (assuming the...
 I would pick the same two you chose.  Motorola isn't going anywhere post-acquisition, and LG is just enormous.  I'm not sure how much of a barrier there is between LG's divisions, but it's entirely possible for them to sustain losses in their phone division until eternity as long as they continue being profitable in other divisions.
 You're definitely confusing profits with revenues for the exact reasons I wrote before.  Revenues are perfectly correlated with sales.  Profits are only somewhat correlated with sales.  If you had said that high-end phones generate higher gross income, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, then you'd be right.  After you get your gross income, though, you subtract expenses to get profits.  When you see the charts showing company profits, those charts aren't showing you profit...
 First off, you're confusing profits with revenues.  If I knew the revenues brought in by sales, then I could estimate the sales numbers.  Profitability takes into account expenses.  These companies could be making revenues hand over fist but report losses if their expenses are greater than sales.  When accounting rules come into play, profitability becomes less and less meaningful because companies are required to subtract phantom expenses like depreciation and capital...