or Connect

Posts by milkmage

from day one the haters said.. it's a big ipod touch. why would anyone want one? during the keynote, Jobs said you have to use it to appreciate it (so did all the initial reviewers that were at the announcement event). what were you all expecting? there are 500k units on the street.. and I'd say on average at least 5 people (other than the owner) got to see them. let's say 2 of those 5 decide to buy. that's another million units pre-ordered. i think apple...
why do you need to see it? the only significant difference is the strip of plastic on the back for the 3g antenna. it's not like there's a WiFi only and 3g only versions. i think a good percentage of the preorders are going to developers who need the hardware for testing.
on what grounds? duplicating existing funcitonality? hard case to make since Kindle/Stanza/Classics are there, yet apple's solution isn't i don't think they're going to cull the existing readers.
..or it's devs who need the hardware to test on.
... there's no monthly. there's no contract for 3g, it's essentially pay as you go.. or pre-pay. $15 for 250MB, $30 for unlimited /per month. you can enable/disable right from the device.http://www.apple.com/ipad/3g/ "In the United States, 3G service is available through a breakthrough deal with AT&T. You choose the amount of data per month you want to buy — 250MB or unlimited. If you choose the 250MB plan, you’ll receive onscreen messages as you get close to your monthly...
"Digital files are not the same as real books, and cost a lot less to produce and distribute, they need to have a different strategy." ...the only place you clearly save money is in printing and shipping. the text itself still has to be edited (multiple times) - you could argue that they need to edit it just the same but for a printed book, but it's suprising how much ebook publishing costs. I saw a piece from an author who broke down the cost.. you only "save" about...
if you find iphoto's touch up features lacking, you might want to give pixelmator a try. there's a free trial, and if you like it.. it's $60 bucks.. I think I got my copy as part of a macheist (or similar) bundle... it's NOT photoshop so you'll want to keep that around for heavy lifting if you're not sure about A3, hold off until the reviews come.. i'm sure there will be plenty in the coming weeks.
the iphone blew people away because it was totally new (the top selling phone in 2007, prior to iphone was a RAZR). people see the ipad and say meh, "it's been done before"... so the wow factor is not the same because the mechanics are the same. BUT... pay attention to the demos at the keynote, and ignore everything but the chrome. there are new UI elements introduced, and new interaction paradigms that are hard to appreciate unless you actually use it (NOT that i've used...
is there a name for that.. like Indian Screwdriver (OJ and Vodka?)
ugh. vodka would curdle the dairy.