or Connect

Posts by DeanSolecki

Thanks for the warning! Some people get crazy about their allegiances to corporations... it is both funny and disgusting at the same time.
As a minor update on my Wifi issues after waking from sleep, it does appear that the issue is resolved, based on three anecdotal trials. I had no problems (like most others had not, it appears) downloading/installing the update. I even put my MBA in standby half way through the download and finished it at home because the coffee shop I was at quite rudely closed at 6pm, without even asking if it was ok. Sheesh! Download picked up where it had left off and...
I have had consistent problems with this. My standard solution has been booting into Win 7 when I can't get OSX to work (even after a complete shutdown, on a couple occasions,) and that has been effective, but obviously less than ideal. Glad this has been addressed.
Apple contracts with manufacturers that have been shown to abuse workers in a variety of situations, making a variety of products, for a variety of partners, and most of us are cognizant of the fact. If your neighbor beats his wife, but so do the rest of the men in your neighborhood, does that make it alright with you? All of these arguments saying that Apple is being picked on reduce to the fact that they are guilty of what they are accused of, and they are one of the...
The outcome that you prescribe would be the only decent thing to do. Corporations are anything but, however. Public outcry is the first step in legislating a solution that doesn't count on the decency of corporations (HA!) to prevent human rights violations. Eliminating demand can't come about from grass roots movements (the tired, "vote with your wallet" line,) but legislators can be swayed, perhaps, if they aren't completely bought and sold by said corporations (and...
Solidarity, brother!
Apple is NOT leading the world forward. The conditions at Foxconn are considerably more dire as a result of the squeeze Apple has put on manufacturers, who have to underbid each other in order to secure mass contracting opportunities. It is precisely this paradigm, and Apple's miserly practices where partners are concerned, that leads to higher suicide rates and deeper cruelties against our fellow humans.It can be mentioned IN THE SAME BREATH that Microsoft's licensing...
There was a point, friend, when the cotton in everyone's linens was picked by a slave. It was those that were complaining about it that brought about a change in the paradigm, not those that "voted with their wallets" (a ludicrous idea.) Certainly, saying "that's just capitalism" isn't striking a bold new path into the welcoming arms of prosperity for the huddled masses (now deprived of hands and eyes, no doubt.) But the United States, built as it was on slavery, has...
I'm sure if you keep looking you can find people who have it a little worse, and a little worse still. But you could just say, "hey, they're alive, and that beats being dead!" Except for a lot of foxconn employees, who felt that that wasn't the case.I would say, however, that both of these things are unfortunate, and shouldn't be defended as "Just" or "necessary" by any stretch of the imagination. Why is that so impossible to admit, to yourselves and to others?
I love when macho forum-goers talk about how cowardly whistleblowers are for staying anonymous, while they post anonymously from there "AppleIzMuhJeZuZ" username. Yeah. You're super edgy. The fact of the matter is Apple does business with companies that exploit humans, including children, for profit. You can be part of that group of people that tries to brush it off, but that makes you a coward. A person with the slightest shred of integrity would say, "This is a...