or Connect

Posts by TJM

It's the end of MacWorld as we know it.... ...and I feel fine! (my apologies to R.E.M.)
I find all this incredibly silly. Spend a few minutes looking into the political campaigns of the 19th century and how nasty they were, routinely. You were expected to say the worst things possible about your opponent. What passes for political campaigning nowadays is a mutual love-fest by comparison. I'm not saying I enjoy bad-mouthing, but political campaigning has always been a no-holds-barred proposition. As an example, when Democrat Grover Cleveland was running...
Years ago (the 80s, maybe) there was a show (60 minutes?) that focused on the legal system in Communist China (or Red China as it was then referred to). Their premise was that the Chinese legal system is a sham and a trial merely a staged show. The police officially never made mistakes, so simply arresting someone meant they were guilty. What struck me was how similar that is to attitudes I see in the US. If someone is arrested, they must be guilty, at least in the...
Here's a handy related development: "Engineered Intelligence Corp. (EI) on Thursday announced the release of its Mac OS X-compatible version of CxC. Aimed at research labs and other markets that require high-performance computing, CxC is parallel programming software designed to simplify the process of writing code that can run on clusters of computers." Here's the link (MacCentral): http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/...=1069342314000 Apparently, EI thinks that...
The RIAA's position (at least as far as I understand it) is that since analog recording results in a degraded sound, it is inherenly self-limiting. By the time you've made a tape of a tape of a tape, the sound quality is poor enough that it has no real value. Digital, on the other hand, allows for perfect copies ad infinitum. If miniature vinyl-pressing machines had existed 20 years ago, this would have been an issue then. Today, everyone owns their own CD burner (now...
Nr9: I don't mean to sound like I'm putting you down or blowing you off. I'm no expert on any of this, so I'm simply standing on the sidelines trying to figure out what's up. We've had others in the past come by and assure us they had "inside" sources who proceeded to post absolute garbage that they just made up. So, I'm once bitten and twice shy in these matters. You and Tomb both appear to know what you're talking about, so I'm left in a quandry. Reputation counts...
I was thinking along those exact same lines. I get the feeling that (if he's not completely pulling our legs) Nr9 does have access to some insiders, but it's not his own field and so is getting some details mixed up (or even is being fed disinformation by these "insiders" as a joke). What Nr9 is describing would almost make sense for a gaming console. The PS3, XBox2, and GameCube successor are all apparently going with IBM, with the PS3 explicitly using this Cell...
I agree with Aquafire and der Kopf. He is innocent until proven guilty. We are not the jury. We do not know any of the facts. Innocent is the only position we can take until a real jury has actually made a decision. In MJ's defense, his childhood was stolen from him by his father. He was forced to perform like an adult when he was 5 years old as part of the Jackson Five. Now that he is an adult, he is living the childhood he never had. But, as dK said, we're...
I'm still waiting for people to start sprouting new arms out of the side of their heads due to the intense radiation exposure from the transmitters of those new-fangled "cell phone" thingies!
People seem to have an irrational fear of radioactivity that goes far beyond the actual hazards involved. Holding a hot chemical battery-powered computer on your lap probably does more genetic damage than these weak beta-emitters. With proper shielding, there should be no detectable radiation leakage from these devices at all. The problem I see with these particular devices is their extremely low power output. They can put out micro- or maybe milliwatts of power for...