or Connect

Posts by Bigc

It's all just wishful thinking. Ain't no harm unless you take it seriously. Seeing is believing (sometimes).
[quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg: So you guys don't think that Apple needs to compete with the 2.5 GHZ Pentium 4 systems out there?
I don't care what Intel does. I don't buy cheap tools, cheap chain saws, cheap vacuum cleaners, Honda murdercycles, etc and I don't buy cheap computers that last 6-months (assuming you can even get your stuff to work). I got a wintel box and windog XP and I don't care how fast it is, it's still ugly...
[quote]Originally posted by There is no g5: Bah. You don't know your elbow from your *******. It's ALWAYS the end of Apple, and yet it continues on. Really, you should just bail if it's a problem for you. And don't give me that "I care about the platform" excuse, either, because you don't. You just care about things like specs and speed ratings because your life is devoid of other meaning (or some other psycho/neurological condition as yet undignosed). If...
I wonder if M$ came out with this first if all the whiners would then be b!tchin about why Appple didn't have clustering technology when it uses a U*ix base.
How much is all this gonna cost me?
[quote]Originally posted by keyboardf12: I think programmer said it best in this or another thread when he said you can't lump all schools and how they handle tech in one bunch. Some will find a use for this tech others will buy new machines. For those that have extra macs not doing much will not find this whole idea dumb. Just because U of M won't use the tech does not mean its worthless. [No] ...
[quote]Originally posted by rogue27: Well, thanks for that charming post, despite the fact that I said it doesn't matter if they can't use true DDR. 166 would be nice, but Moto only said they "might" go to 166 in the future, so I didn't want to speculate on any of that. And geez, you are an *******. Anyways, DDR would help on memory transfers that do not go through the FSB, such as memory to video card transfers over AGP (which QE will use plenty of) or...
DDR is only going to add 10% to the speed, so who cares. A 166 Mhz MPX bus would be faster and better. MPX already utilizes more bus on throughput than equivalent existing Intel. So DDR can bite it, I'd take 166 MPX. The only reason people keep talking about DDR is that Intel uses it. Apple ain't gotta (and shouldn't) follow Intel machines. If you want DDR get an X86 and run WindogXP. Get over it.
[quote]Originally posted by johnsonwax: Absoft Pro Fortan 7.0 is available for OS X. It includes command line and GUI functionality and does Altivec optimization. It also works with UCLA's Appleseed for clustering. It's not free, and not even terribly cheap to .edu, but it's got most everything you'd want.
$900 for a couple of programs for my own use is hard to justify but to some it would be worth it. Budgets are tight these days to...
That would explain all the fast I/O for the xserve