or Connect

Posts by EgoAleSum

You miss the point. Apple keeps that much cash (and other liquid assets) for being able to make investments quickly, that is: being flexible. If you tell me you want to invest billion in a production plant, that means exactly the opposite. Flexibility is at Apple's heart, that's what they have always been used to!   You must always consider the culture of a company. A company that has always followed, from the very beginning, a "make and buy" approach, and is currently...
I guess you've never taken any business class, have you? Apple is a huge corporation and requires huge production volumes (with high quality standards). They can't simply say "ok, tomorrow we'll build a factory to produce our own chips"! They simply can't do that, because they don't know how to do that. And they wouldn't have economies of scale nor economies of learning (hope they are the correct terms in English). Also, owning plants means having a more rigid cost...
Going vertical can't be the option, as it's not in Apple's philosophy. They have always followed a "make AND buy" paradigm, which means that they develop the core competencies internally and acquire secondary competencies outside. That is: development of products is done inside the company, while manufacturing is done outside by partners (the "specialization socialization" logic). Anyway, Intel may produced chips for Apple using the ARM architecture too! Intel is a...
What's wrong with you?Why is it so hard to give an answer to a simple "A or B" question, and give reasons for that?I want to change it. I have the money, and if I sell my MBP now, I can get about 1000€ out of it (about 40% of what I paid for it more than 2 years ago).I use my laptop intensively, so it's an expense that gets amortized soon.And all the money I make is thanks to my MB, as I create apps for iOS and Mac (published on the App Store) and web sites for paying...
Thanks for your answer!The "you'll be using that for years" fact is what is scaring me most. I'm really in love with the lightness and compactness of the Air, but I don't want to have to deal with a laptop too small for me for a couple of years.The MBP Retina is less expensive than a "normal" 15" MBP with SSD and hi-res screen. But it's still ~500€ more than the Air...(I can have a 10% student discount)What do you use your MacBook for? You said you needed a 15" screen: do...
Have you read my post? I do ALREADY have a SSD in my MacBook (bto... 256GB "official" SSD).I want to change my laptop because it's getting old. It's heavier (I can save 20% of the weight with the MBP Retina and almost 50% with the MacBook Air), the battery is not as good as it was originally, etc.
Thanks, but that's not really an answer.An SSD upgrade on what?And I don't want to wait for Haswell. I need a new laptop NOW! Next year, there'll be some reasons to wait for the next thing, and so on.
Hello,   I'm currently using a 2010 MB Pro 15" (Core i5 Duo, 2.2GHz), with "hi-res" 1680x1050 display and an official Apple 256GB SSD. I'm happy with that, but it's getting old and it's really "heavy" (~2.5 kg).   Now that the line has been refreshed, I cannot choose between 2 solutions: - MB Pro with Retina - MB Air 13" (top model + 8GB memory)   First of all, let me say that I want a 256GB SSD (it's truly amazing!), and that I need lot of screen space...
I had the pleasure to attend a lecture by Montezemolo too, when he came last october in my university in Milan, Italy (I'm studying business too).   What did impress me most (after his *huge* ego O.o) was a sentence he said, and repeated this time in Stanford: "You could buy a German car, like Porsche. They are great, perfect in every detail, they never break down. But they're cold. We [Ferrari] build cars that are not just fast, but also pleasant to drive, give...
All references to "4G" or "LTE" disappeared from all european sites... Now they list technologies up to HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA. I think this is a smart move, and I don't see why they didn't do that before. Even if we had commercial LTE networks ready, they wouldn't work with the new iPad... So why advertising that feature?