or Connect

Posts by Euphonious

I don't really mind Apple dictating the experience most of the time. It's that which keeps the UI consistent; some jailbreak software is really, really ugly!   But when it's a simple tweak with an obvious advantage and no real downside, then jailbreaking to achieve it is a bit of a no-brainer.
Yes. It aggravates me that the Apple method is so unintuitive, when Apple is normally a company known for its intuitive software design. It's five minutes' effort to jailbreak, repaid by better ease of use for years down the line.   Why the confrontational attitude to jailbreaking, anyway? It's my device, I paid good money for it; I'll use it how I want, whether it's Apple's wish or not.
  When Apple allows me to enable or disable wi-fi or 3G without ploughing through several layers of menus, then I'll probably stop jailbreaking. Until then, I'll use SBSettings, which allows you to put those controls in the notification centre.   There's also countless other tweaks which are only available through jailbreaking. Pictures in contact list, FaceTime on 3G, five-icon dock, etc.
Wonder if this closes any of the holes to be used in the forthcoming 5.1 jailbreak?
It's really ugly. It looks like 90% of the design choices were informed by the need to get the 4.8-inch screen within a body which is acceptably small.    I hope that the next iPhone has a ~4-inch screen, but 4.8 inches is just too big. There's no way the average person can use a screen of that size comfortably with one hand. It might be borderline acceptable on a phone like the GS3, which is principally designed for geeks, but it's too big for the mainstream. In...
  But the definition should concern the hardware, not what carriers in one particular market may or may not do.   Your definition isn't very universal. In the UK, you won't be forced to have a data plan to operate any phone. Doesn't mean we don't have any smartphones!
Here in the UK you can get prepaid iPhones easily, but almost all the iPhone users I know are on contract because the upfront cost is too much on prepaid. If you're not a heavy user, prepaid is often cheaper over 18 or 24 months, but that depends on you being willing to spend £500 on the handset.
    What a preposterous thing to say.   So Apple makes the hardware, Apple makes the OS and defines the interaction paradigm, Apple provides the UI guidelines, Apple is responsible for eliminating fragmentation in the App Store, Apple provides a market where developers can actually make money from their apps, hence encouraging developers to write apps in the first place - and yet the entire experience comes from the developer?   More to the point, if iOS offers a better...
    Nah, I don't think that. I'm not using the change to support my argument that the previous design was flawed. I've got no idea why they changed it other than that it's a superior system, which is a good enough reason in itself.   I'm saying that you can't use the continuity in the design to support the argument that there was no flaw, because they did change the design.    
    1) I have never used the words 'fatal flaw'. I don't believe that the flaw was 'fatal' and I've never argued that it was.   2) I completely acknowledge the fact that the range of the decibel change might not affect the functioning of the device. Whether it does or doesn't isn't relevant to what I'm arguing. I'm just asking whether you agree that the range of decibel change indicates a flaw with the antenna, when seen in isolation from any other elements of the phone....