or Connect

Posts by Euphonious

It might well be unfair - but if Apple replaces Google Maps with Apple Maps overnight, that is the standard by which it will be judged.
  Indeed. It actually shows a lot more trust in Apple if you can admit that they're not flawless, and have faith in them to listen to their customers and put right the things which went wrong. Every organisation has to go through these issues.   The continual pretence that issues don't exist lacks credibility.
  That is absolutely a defence. You are shifting the onus to get this product right onto the user. It should clearly be upon Apple, since it was Apple who replaced a product which worked well with this new solution.   I'm not sure why you can't see this.     Of course not. But if you elect to replace a mature product which users are happy with, you'd better damn hope that your own product is comparable. If it's not, you are going to be under fire. Users don't like...
  The thing is, very few users care about these kind of ideological considerations. This kind of thing is mostly reserved for people on internet forums. In the real world, people just want something that works. That's why Apple has been so successful in recent years, and that's why Maps is such a letdown.
  Why should I have to add it myself?! Apple replaces the prior maps product with an inferior one, and I have to fix it myself?! Apple foists this inadequate new product on me, and I'm expected to be a beta tester? Is this what people pay premium prices for Apple hardware for?   Are you seriously so blinkered and unable to criticise Apple than you can't see the problem with a map 'upgrade' that strips out large volumes of data?   What's the chance that you'd take the same...
  A few months? A year? In what way does that help me if I need to navigate to somewhere tomorrow or next week, and Apple Maps gets it wrong?   I expect it to be on a par with Google's app because Apple has removed the Google app and replaced it with its own. Your apologism is risible. Why should users simply keep quiet and accept an upgrade which effects a significant downgrade to a core feature?
  My complaint is that my hometown doesn't exist on Apple Maps. It is simply not labelled - despite a nearby village being clearly labelled. Is that legitimate enough for you? How is one supposed to navigate to my town when Apple Maps doesn't think it exists?   Additionally, the satellite imagery is absolutely pathetic. I've gone from being able to see my house on Google Maps (and if I wish, my front door via Street View), to my entire town being a vague suburban blur on...
  Actually, lots and lots of people care about Facebook. Among my age bracket (early 20s), it is almost universally used. It's a smart decision by Apple to include it.
  Because both the 4S and 5 have a different antenna arrangement from the GSM 4. The 4S uses two separate GSM antennas, which mitigates the issue. The 5 presumably has some other solution entirely.   It's not a conceptual flaw with an external antenna - it was an implementation issue.   Because a total recall would have cost loads of money, as well as generating horrific PR. You don't do a total recall unless the product is either dangerous or essentially unusable. It was...
  What's impressive is that Apple has managed to top the Android devices' performance, using a CPU which has much lower core count and clock speed. That can only bode well for power usage and hence battery life. The mobile game is about efficiency, not just pure performance - otherwise we'd all just have an i7 in our phones and forget about it!