or Connect

Posts by e_veritas

I am well aware of this fact. However, at this point, you are merely arguing semantics. While the USPTO never claims a patent to be invalid legally, a complete rejection of ALL claims pretty much makes it worthless. Most people would interpret this as the adjective 'invalid', synonymous with 'worthless'. You however, are trying to suggest this isn't the case because you are only considering the legal phrasing for 'invalid'. This is what I was suggesting in my original...
  Umm...did you even read the article before jumping in on the conversation? Actually, how about just the title; "Apple 'pinch-to-zoom' patent invalidated by USPTO".   Maybe you are simply trying to argue semantics along the lines of "the USPTO doesn't 'invalidate' patents, they only rejects claims"???
  Clicking on the link at the end of this article takes you to Samsung's filing with the ex-parte re-examination included. According to the re-examination, many of the claims were rejected due to US Patent No. 7,724,242 granted to Hillis. Following is a NY Times article from 2005 discussing his prototype for a tabletop digital map that utilized the concepts of "pinch to zoom". It was demonstrated to the government and a large convention of...
  Yes, this is done ALL the time when making comparisons. Using your logic, it would be nearly impossible to make any comparisons without setting up false dichotomy/trichotomy etc. Dumbest thing I have heard today.    Let's say I wanted to have a discussion about the difference in types of vegetables, squash and tubers maybe. Starting out my conversation with "Assume we have 2 vegetables, a zucchini and a turnip" does not automatically qualify as a false dichotomy. Just...
  What part of me setting up 2 scenarios for comparison do you not understand? Since when did "you can make the following 2 assumptions" equate "you can ONLY make the following 2 assumptions". I have already stated that this was never implied, it was never explicitly made, yet you still keep asserting it. Why?   Regarding the troll comment, I'm afraid I'm not the one who has already been called that in this thread alone. Considering your persistent provoking and...
  Wow! You "teach Critical Thinking at the college level" is a complete joke based upon your reading comprehension skills.   First, you completely took my 2 assumptions out of context! Nowhere in my post was it implied that these were the only 2 options available. Instead, this was a comparison of 2 theories being debated in this thread as it related to the principle of Occam's razor. The main point of my post was that all things being equal, with both theories not being...
  Right, because you are so logically superior to all of us.... At least I accurately understand what a false dichotomy actually is.   To be clear, you tried to present my 2 theories as a false dichotomy. This would imply that I setup the argument to only have 2 possible conclusions, with one being clearly outrageous, leaving the other as the apparent valid conclusion. The only problem to this is that BOTH were presented as valid theories, with the inference only being...
  Ha, you can't claim "False Dichotomy", and then proceed to backup the "other" option. I'm not sure you accurately understand what a false dichotomy is...
  Unfortunately, trying to 'prove' either position is a futile attempt. That is why I think in situations like this, it is important to keep the law of succinctness (Occam's razor) in mind.  Let's review some of the facts about iOS maps:   Massive media attention to mapping flaws CEO publicly apologizing Scott Forstall fired from Apple Rampant end-user furor Authorities making public warnings about application   As I see it, you can make the following 2...
  Ah, the classic 'Argument from ignorance'. After all, if something can't be proven false, it must be true! Just set the bar high enough for proving it false, and you will never be wrong :)