or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

You're getting too caught up in the percentage number... without looking at it in context.Which of the following matters more to a developer or the platform as a whole... the iPhone at 10% market share... or the iPhone selling 300 million units every year? And remember... these are high-end phones owned by people who spend billions of dollars on apps and games.That's more than enough new iPhones to keep developers interested... plus the 600 million existing iPhones that...
Ok.. but you left out the 2nd part of my quote:"I wouldn't say 10% market share would be bad for the iPhone... it could actually be good depending on the size of the market."Like I said... market share is based on the size of the market at any given time. If the smartphone market grew to 3 billion units a year... and Apple was selling 300 million iPhones a year... they would have fallen to 10% market share... but also have record-setting iPhone sales.Developers were...
And don't forget... percentages are based on the total number of units sold in the market.If the iPhone dropped to 10% someday... that number would certainly be lower than the 15% they have today.BUT... if the smartphone market was 3 billion units a year... and Apple had 10%... that would mean Apple sold 300 million iPhones. And that's a big increase in units over what they sell today.We've seen this already. Apple's iPhone sales go up each year... but their percentage...
Exactly.Market share is calculated by adding up all smartphone sales from all manufacturers... and then seeing what percentage each company had for the quarter or year.But Apple is one company versus hundreds of other companies. The iPhone has never had a high market share because of the sheer volume of non-Apple phones being sold.If 1 billion smartphones get sold in a year... and Apple sells 200 million iPhones in a year... they would have 20% market share. Sounds low,...
Take press away from an Apple event? Good luck. A company would have to be crazy to have an event on the same day as an iPhone event.It's even crazier to think anyone from the media would cover that instead of an iPhone event.I see what you're saying... but Apple events have their own gravity. It's a press phenomenon. So it would be wise to not have an announcement anywhere near an Apple event.Unless you're announcing bad news.. in which case you do want it to be...
You also said Blackberry had 40% market share in the US... which would have made them the #1 platform in the US...Which is exactly what I've been saying this whole time...The Blackberry was, in fact, popular in the US... including with consumers.
I joined a conversation in post #13 by replying to someone who was talking about the Blackberry and 2007. I assumed we were talking about the US since this article is about the US.We were not talking about the rest of the world.However... in that same post #13... I did acknowledge that Symbian held the worldwide title.Symbian did not have a big foothold in the US... so that leaves Palm, Blackberry and Windows Mobile.And to the best of my knowledge... Blackberry was not in...
Very different indeed.According to the "Most Used" chart... this phone is the #2Would that be #2 in the United States?And is that even a smartphone?This whole discussion started with the question whether Blackberry or Windows Mobile was more popular in the United States before the iPhone.Then I mentioned that Blackberry must have been rather popular at some point... since nearly everyone I knew had a Blackberry if they had a smartphone.Then you said Blackberry was never...
I know what I saw. I had a Blackberry from 2009-2011. Most people I knew had a Blackberry. We all used BBM for messaging. It wasn't just one or two people... I had over 70 people on my BBM list.And these were all regular consumers... not enterprise customers.If someone had a smartphone... it was a Blackberry. Not a Palm phone... not Windows Mobile.And let's not forget that most people bought phones on 2-year contracts. If they bought a Blackberry in 2010... they would...
I dunno man... I was surrounded by Blackberries. I live in the southeastern US... North Carolina. Perhaps that was a hotbed of Blackberry use?That picture was from a group of my friends in their 20s and 30s that all happened to be in the same room. But even when I would travel... if someone had a smartphone it was a Blackberry.Some background: I teach dance... so I'm in dance studios with tons of people. And I travel to dance competitions... so I see people from...