or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Whoa... my mind is blown.For years we've heard that artists don't make much, if any, money on the album or radio play... instead they make money on the road.Damn... I can't believe anything anymore!
It does?I would imagine she makes most of her money from touring...Like it always does.
Exactly.Remember when Apple sold songs for 99 cents?Apple kept 29 cents... and the labels got 70 cents.Then it was up to the labels to give the artist their share... which ended up only being a few pennies per song.It was the same with records, tapes, CDs and now streams. The labels make most of the money.Which begs the question... why would any sane person sign a contract with a label?Yet it happens. Every. Single. Day.
Oh cool! I thought it was iPad-only.
I want this on the iPhone. I hate the loupe and would prefer a finely-controllable cursor.
Yep.Also... streaming music will only be a very small part of Apple Inc. Even if Apple Music somehow fails... it won't make a dent in the company.However... streaming music is Spotify's ENTIRE business. And they haven't even made a dime yet. If they keep going down this road... they won't be around much longer.
Exactly.I read the headline and immediately knew what I would encounter in the comments.I thought the 256kbps AAC vs 320kbps MP3 debate was settled long ago...
But that's how the music industry was built. The artist is an employee of the label. And so are the writers, producers, musicians, etc.And the labels have always taken the lion's share of the income.Yeah it sucks... but it's been like that for decades.In the time it took to write this comment... someone just signed a record contract. Why did they do that?
I already do many of the things that Low Power Mode provides: Reduced brightness No motion or animated anything No background app refresh No automatic downloads So I wonder how much the reduced network speed will preserve battery life.
I wonder how big the paid streaming music market really is.For as much as people talk about Spotify... they only have 15 million paying customers.And that's out of billions of users who have compatible devices. (iOS, Android, Web)So again... what is the total addressable market for a paid streaming music service?Obviously Apple thinks they can get a piece of it.