or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

I hear that... but then I hear talk about Apple selling a record-setting 70 million iPhone this quarter.So do they really need to sell "more" phones?
Agreed. You and I know how modern electronics products get made these days. The average consumer may not.Now wait a minute. It doesn't make sense to single-out Apple and other American companies to say they don't manufacturer anything.MOST companies don't manufacture anything themselves either. Foxconn and Pegatron do.And it's not only for American companies... Foxconn assembles stuff for Taiwanese and Japanese companies too.
My claim?You're the one who said the original iPhone was NOT a smartphone.So what was it?WIFI, data, email, web, maps, etc.... it was clearly not just a feature phone.There were Palms and Blackberries that didn't have some of the things you keep mentioning... were they still smartphones?
Alright man... you lost it with the toaster quote.
No... I do not think that flip-phone was a smartphone. But I DO think the original iPhone was a smartphone.The inclusion of... or lack of... certain features isn't what makes the difference between a smartphone and a non-smartphone.You need to look at the entire package and what it offers.Yes... the original iPhone didn't have native app support or video recording... but it did have many other things. It had WIFI, GPS, visual voicemail, IMAP email, a desktop-class web...
You said the original iPhone was not a smartphone because it didn't run user-installed apps.I said there is much more that defines a smartphone than user-installed apps.One feature... or the lack of one feature... it not the difference between a smartphone and a non-smartphone.
The OS on that flip-phone was some crappy flip-phone OS. I don't think it even had a name... it's whatever Verizon flip-phones had on them. It was basically firmware anyway... I honestly think we're giving it too much credit by calling it an "operating system"Anyway... here's my point:Let's say a smartphone can be defined by 6 things.But if a particular phone only has 5 of those things... is it not a smartphone at all? Because that's what you're suggesting.Yes... the...
Does it matter?User-installable apps is not the only requirement to be considered a "smartphone" OS.That flip-phone didn't have GPS or maps and didn't have native email. Yes... it had some sort of web browser (WAP) and crappy little apps... but I wouldn't consider it a "smartphone" at all. It didn't have WIFI. You couldn't export contacts or integrate into Exchange or any other system. The list of things it didn't have is longer compared to actual smartphones.
I had the flip-phone shown below. It had user-installable apps. Are you telling me it was running a smartphone OS because of that?
Why?The first iPhone had email, messaging, calendar, web browsing, maps, etc. Those were features built into the OS.That, to me, sounds like a smartphone OS.