or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Right... which is why Google also has the API Level numbers listed too.4.X is meaningless when you consider:4.0 = API Level 154.1 = API Level 164.2 = API Level 174.3 = API Level 184.4 = API Level 19If you write an app to take advantage of features in 4.4 (API Level 19) it won't do all it's supposed to do if you have Android 4.3 or below (without a lot of workarounds, right?).
Gotcha.But what about non-Google features?For instance... Android "L" will introduce 5,000 completely new APIs. (some Google... some not)So in order for a developer to use the new non-Google Service APIs... the user must have Android "L"Instead... developers will forgo most of those new "L" features until enough people can use them... right?I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.iOS 7 is installed on 91% of its devices... which allows tons of people to take advantage...
Ok... so Google Play Services just allows people with older versions of Android to access certain Google apps and services. It has nothing to do with the thousands of other individual APIs.So if there was some groundbreaking new feature introduced in Android 4.4.... the user absolutely MUST have Android 4.4 to use that feature.Is that right?
That's what I was wondering.People in this thread have been saying that developers should target Ice Cream Sandwich (API level 15) in order to reach the most people. In other words... to be safe... you shouldn't use any APIs or features that appear in later versions of Android (API level 16 and above)But it sounded like Google Play Services fixed that... allowing older versions of Android to use those newer features.So which is it?
Exactly. Some manufacturers are on the ball with updates. And we should applaud them.But we spend a little too much time talking about the big manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC, etc) and their popular phones.As it turns out... "Android" is made up of much more than just those handful of manufacturers. Remember how big that "Others" category is?So when there are reports of "Android" being spread across 5 or 6 different versions... it's the fault of all those other...
Wait... so a mobile OS that is available on 19,000 different devices from over 100 manufacturers has more users?No sh!t Sherlock...
Exactly!You'd definitely have to check to see if your door needs pulling or pushing BEFORE you purchase this type of product.
You're right... 85% of Android users can take advantage of the features across Android 4.X dating back to 2011.So to be safe... a developer should target Android 4.0 to reach the most users. You have to appeal to the lowest common denominator.But if there was some amazing feature introduced in Android 4.4.... the audience is MUCH smaller since not many people have Android 4.4And that's the struggle. Android has a lot of users... but not many of them can use the latest...
Whatever the reason is... I'm glad they did.The automobile market is broken down into different segments... why not smartphones?It's silly to compare sales of luxury sedans to sales of sub-compact hatchbacks. And that's why they don't do it.
I think the best-selling Windows Phone in the world is the Lumia 520.It's about $100 unlocked.And from what I hear.... it's a pretty nice phone for the price... MUCH better than the usual $100 Android phone.There's a cheap Motorola Android phone that's pretty good... but it doesn't sell nearly the same volume as other Android phones.The general consensus is... if you've only got $100 to spend... the Lumia 520 is the phone to get.