or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Exactly... Apple has been involved with light gaming on iPhones. iPods and iPads with much success.I could see them venture out into light gaming... on TVs... by adding games to a streaming box they were already planning on selling.Like I said before... Apple can make hardware... they can convince developers to get on board... they have an app store... they have controller APIs.They've been setting up the chess pieces for a while now. So let's play!You raise a good point...
Just so we're clear... you voted "Big mistake" and "Huge sinkhole" My vote... "Bring it on!" Yes... Apple tried to make a gaming console and it failed. But it was a different time (work began 20 years ago)... and it was a different Apple too. I don't think you can make any predictions based on that.For the record... we're talking about adding games to the Apple TV. They already made wireless controller support... do you think their end-game was a handheld controller...
Competing means you can buy one or the other. No one would buy an AppleTV instead of a $400 XBox One. So that's why I say they won't necessarily be competing.Thanks for reminding me of the Ouya... I couldn't remember it.I imagine an AppleTV with gaming as a huge step up from those Android gaming systems. Like I said... Apple is no stranger to gaming... and its developers.So it would be above an Ouya or ShieldTV... but below an XBox or Playstation.I think there is a place...
Why can't the AppleTV become a game console?Apple has proven itself with games on iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches. Adding games to a TV box wouldn't really be much of a stretch.I wouldn't say Apple's solution would be competing directly with Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. This new AppleTV might only cost $150. None of the other consoles are available that cheap. That's one difference.Plus I don't think AppleTV games would cost $40-$60 either. That's another...
You keep going on and on about "iOS games on TV"You're right... that wouldn't make much sense at all. iOS games, as of now, are mostly touch-only.So imagine if Apple made guidelines for building additional AppleTV games that used a controller. Apple does know a thing or two about APIs and such... they already have an App Store for distribution... and there is MFI certification for controllers too... etc. All the pieces are there.Amazon FireTV has a game controller... and...
If you cannot select a "no-TV" package... I guess you'll have to take it.Remember when your cellphone plan was all about minutes? And then a certain number of texts?Now both of those have become devalued and are essentially "free"... and you're actually paying for data.Technically I'm paying for "unlimited voice and text" even if I never make a phone call or send a text. They're just included and there's not much I can do about it.Perhaps we'll all be getting TV channels...
Reminds me of LoveSachttp://www.lovesac.com/sactionals/learn.html
You might wanna check with your cable company to see what packages they have.I would actually be shocked if "hundreds of channels" was to only package they offered. Most cable companies have 20 channel packages, 75 channels, 200 channels and so on.But if you're so worried about paying for stuff you don't want... channels will never be the cure.Channels broadcast 24 hours a day... including the 8 hours you're asleep and the 8 hours you're at work.Even if you could choose...
You're getting too caught up in the percentage number... without looking at it in context.Which of the following matters more to a developer or the platform as a whole... the iPhone at 10% market share... or the iPhone selling 300 million units every year? And remember... these are high-end phones owned by people who spend billions of dollars on apps and games.That's more than enough new iPhones to keep developers interested... plus the 600 million existing iPhones that...
Ok.. but you left out the 2nd part of my quote:"I wouldn't say 10% market share would be bad for the iPhone... it could actually be good depending on the size of the market."Like I said... market share is based on the size of the market at any given time. If the smartphone market grew to 3 billion units a year... and Apple was selling 300 million iPhones a year... they would have fallen to 10% market share... but also have record-setting iPhone sales.Developers were...