or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Right now my phone is sitting on my desk next to my keyboard. It's within arm's reach... but nowhere near my head. And it's certainly not in a suitable location to scan my iris. How would Samsung handle that situation? Would I have to pick up my phone in order for it to scan my eyes? I'm sure I could put in my passcode... but that's exactly what I'd be trying to avoid. Meanwhile... a gentle press-n-hold on the home button of my iPhone 5S and it opens lickety-split......
Good read!I highlighted the security part for discussion. Yes... I leave fingerprints everywhere... but I used to leave my phone unlocked too. It's security vs convenience. Now my phone can be easily unlocked by me.... but it keeps out 99.999% of common theives.Apple knows the fingerprint scanner can be duped (most of them can) but I guess they think it's better than nothing.I remember that one article where they spent 24 hours in a controlled lab experiment to crack...
Wow... that sucks!Maybe I'm lucky. I've never had to re-train it either. It's worked the same since I got the phone 2 months ago.
I'm interested to see what they come up with. When Apple wanted a fingerprint scanner... they bought a couple companies who dealt with fingerprint scanning. Those companies were probably the best in that field, too. Fingerprint scanning isn't new anyway... it's been around for a while and is very mature at this point. Is Samsung developing iris scanning technology themselves... or are they buying companies that already do this? I can't find anything that talks about...
I was just asking how many of Samsung's phones are high-end phones.You're right... sales always start off great... and then taper off. That's understandable.But Samsung's flagship phones are never the bulk of their sales in the first place.10 million Galaxy S4 sold in 2 months doesn't really mean a lot when they also sold 50 million low-end phones during the same time.
Here's what I want to know... Out of the 80 million smartphones Samsung sold last quarter.... how many of those were high-end flagships like the Note 3 and Galaxy S4 ? Samsung will never tell us. They only point out certain milestones... like 10 million Galaxy S4 in the first 2 months. But that was 7 months ago from when this article came out. According to reports... sales of the GS4 have dropped of quite a bit in the half a year since it launched. That can't make...
Largest market, huh?Developers and 3rd-party accessory makers already prefer Apple even though Android has had the most market share for years.Why? Here's what you're forgetting about "Android" market share: it's made up of tons of phones, from dozens of manufacturers, across all price ranges and capabilities, and that are sold in many different countries.I'm sure you look at Android's 80% market share and think "Holy crap! That's a huge number!"It is a huge number on...
What does Android "own" exactly? I haven't seen anything good come from all that market share. You'll notice how developers and accessory maker still flock to Apple even though they have a fraction of Android's market share. What does that tell you?Market share makes a great headline... but there's no compelling story after that.Apple sells more and more phones every year. And expensive phones at that. That's more important than how they rank on a market share...
Ellen's Heads Up game is fun! I love the timing of this announcement. I think Apple has issued press releases during CES in previous years. Apple doesn't need to attend CES... they're already the talk of the town
As usual.... Apple won't officially be attending CES... But Apple will be there.