or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

You said the original iPhone was not a smartphone because it didn't run user-installed apps.I said there is much more that defines a smartphone than user-installed apps.One feature... or the lack of one feature... it not the difference between a smartphone and a non-smartphone.
The OS on that flip-phone was some crappy flip-phone OS. I don't think it even had a name... it's whatever Verizon flip-phones had on them. It was basically firmware anyway... I honestly think we're giving it too much credit by calling it an "operating system"Anyway... here's my point:Let's say a smartphone can be defined by 6 things.But if a particular phone only has 5 of those things... is it not a smartphone at all? Because that's what you're suggesting.Yes... the...
Does it matter?User-installable apps is not the only requirement to be considered a "smartphone" OS.That flip-phone didn't have GPS or maps and didn't have native email. Yes... it had some sort of web browser (WAP) and crappy little apps... but I wouldn't consider it a "smartphone" at all. It didn't have WIFI. You couldn't export contacts or integrate into Exchange or any other system. The list of things it didn't have is longer compared to actual smartphones.
I had the flip-phone shown below. It had user-installable apps. Are you telling me it was running a smartphone OS because of that?
Why?The first iPhone had email, messaging, calendar, web browsing, maps, etc. Those were features built into the OS.That, to me, sounds like a smartphone OS.
Foggyhill didn't say anything about Nokia... you were the one who mentioned them.There were 1.15 billion mobile phones sold in 2007. Smartphones only represented 122 million of them.Roughly 1 out of 10 phones sold in 2007 was a smartphone. So yeah... I'd say the smartphone market was very small in 2007.And that's what foggyhill said.
Yes Rich... Nokia sold 60 million smartphones in 2007... and the entire smartphone market was 122 million.But guess what... the mobile phone market was 1.15 BILLION in 2007.So I agree with foggyhill... the smartphone market was "very small" back then.Smartphones were only about 10% of the phone market in 2007.
I counted 23 banks on the Apple Pay page on Apple's website. There's only about 6,000 more to go! Seriously though... in October Tim Cook said 500 banks have signed on to Apple Pay. When will those be in effect? I realize this is a huge, unprecedented effort... and probably the only major deal between a consumer electronics company and the banking system. I'm just wondering when we will see some huge adoption numbers. They seem to be trickling out a few at a time. At...
Which Xiaomi phone do you use?
I did not say it was interesting. I was simply commenting on the fact that you finally provided some specific points.Fastest growing? That's not hard when you sell mostly cheap phones in China... land of a billion people. You realize the rest of the smartphone market is growing too, right? There was a time when smartphones sold 50 million a year. Now they sell 300 million in a quarter.Without stores? What does that mean... are all Xiaomi phones sold online?Look... I'm...