or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

You're basically saying that front notification LEDs are pointless... because you could just turn on the screen instead.But the whole reason phones have front notification LEDs is so you don't have to turn on the screen to see if you have notifications.I don't understand why you're so against that.I've owned numerous phones that have front notification LEDs. I like them. Others do too.Do people really complain when their phone have a screen and a notification LED? Oh...
Very true... that's a sexy implementation.Now if only the other 1,000 smartphone models had that feature.Motorola seems to have have great ideas. Active Display on the Moto X shows you information when you need it... the Droid Maxx laughs at the "wall huggers" always searching for power.It's shame Motorola has changed ownership twice in 18 months though.
I get it... you're saying "why do you need a notification LED if you have the screen?"Do you know how many times people push the home button to illuminate the entire screen just to check for missed notifications? That's where a little blinking LED comes into play... and that's why many phones have them. (or had them)Yes... the screen lights up when you have a new notification. This isn't about that.The problem is... the screen does not stay on to keep notifying you if...
Here was my train of thought:Notification LED... Yes or No?If yes.... Front or Back?I'm just trying to figure out why you think the BACK of the phone is the proper place to put a notification LED?Yes... the iPhone already had an LED there... so why not. No harm done.But that's not where I would put a notification LED if I was designing a phone from scratch.This article talks about the possibility of illuminated buttons... there is a button on the front... so a...
Understood.But I hope you realize that front notification lights do have a purpose. There are use cases for them.Yes... the iPhone has never had them... and I don't think they ever will. I'm fine with that.I was just suggesting that if Apple were to make a button light up... it would be cool to have a notification light on the front.But no... I won't give up TouchID for that! I never expected this love-affair with the back camera flash functioning as a notification light. ...
There were notification lights on the front of phones for years. The reason was so a tiny light would blink periodically to indicate you have a new message or whatever.Otherwise... you have to wake up the entire screen to check missed messages.Yes... you see notifications on the iPhone screen immediately as they come in. But if you were away from the phone.... you don't see them.That's where a tiny blinking light would come in handy.So you're saying make the camera flash...
It's on the BACK of the phone. Strike 1No one wants a disco light when a subtle LED would do. The camera flash is very bright and very distracting. Strike 2While I applaud Apple for adding that capability to the iPhone... it's not exactly the solution people were looking for. It was poorly thought out.I want a notification light that I can simply see when I return to my desk... not something that lights up the whole room.Other phones have had simple LED lights for...
It would be nice if the home button could serve as a notification light.
I don't see a tablet in that picture.I see a field monitor.And a studio environment is very different than standing in front of people at a public event holding up a huge slab of glass.(BTW... I wasn't the one who "looked down upon" people for using a tablet to shoot video...)
That's the nature of internet forum comments