or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Yes... Amazon tablets are selling. Well we think they are. All we get are analyst's estimates of shipments.Amazon only has significant Kindle Fire movement during the Holiday quarter. (but they're not really that great overall)Last quarter (which included Christmas sales)... Amazon shipped 5.8 million Kindle Fire tablets... for 7.6% of the worldwide tablet market.But the rest of the year Amazon doesn't ship too many Kindle Fires and thus doesn't have much market share....
The estimates are that Samsung sold 82 million smartphones last quarter. It's gotta be somewhere in the ballpark.But Samsung doesn't tell us which models those actually were.All that anyone ever talks about are their flagship phones... Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, etc. And with good reason... those are nice phones that get a lot of attention. Those models are the face of the company. The image of Samsung. Their halo products.But if I was to guess... I'd say that the bulk of...
IDC claims that there were 284 million smartphones shipped last quarter.But the only manufacturer that gives any number is Apple.From IDC's website:IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone TrackerĀ® is built on the foundation of IDC's network of country-level mobile phone tracking services, and its bottom-up methodology delivers an accurate view of the mobile phone market from those closest to it.Can they be trusted? Who knows. Don't they get paid for their data?I think IDC...
Exactly. The thumb is not the best method of input.I will use my phone with one hand, and one thumb, only when I have to. A quick text, making a phone call, etc.But when I want to do anything extensive with my iPhone... I prefer two hands.I will hold my phone with one hand and use my other hand and much more accurate index finger for control.Plus... I use some apps with two and three-finger taps and other gestures. You can't do that with a single thumb.
I've been using the Facebook Messenger app since it first came out... and I never thought there was a problem. The last thing I want when replying to a Facebook message is to see a bunch of friend requests, notifications, page activity and other distractions. The Messenger app made sense to me. You go straight to the message... and only the message. I thought that was the idea. And then the regular Facebook app is for all the other Facebook stuff. .
The largest percentage of Android users accessing the Play Store are using a version of Android that came out in mid-2012 The next largest percentage are using a version of Android from late-2012. But the next largest percentage are using a version from 2010-2011 What I'm seeing is it takes a looong time for a particular version of Android to reach critical mass. So... if Google releases some great new feature in a version of Android... developers probably won't even...
Great movie! I wish I had seen the play.
I wonder why Samsung didn't use Google for payment processing? Google is more than capable of that.Is this the beginnings of Samsung trying to get away from Google and/or Android?Even if Samsung sticks with Google... there's gonna be a lot of cooks stirring the pot.You'll have Samsung supplying the hardware and TouchWiz... Google providing the OS and services... and PayPal handling payments.That seems needlessly complicated.
It had to start sometime though.If the 64-bit processor came out in 2012... it may have taken until 2014 to see the benefits. And we would have had this same conversation a year ago.But since it came out in 2013... it may take until 2015 to see the benefits.Yeah... it's always about future devices. The current devices would never had seen an immediate change because of this.The good news is... Apple has finally planted the 64-bit flag in the ground... and now everyone can...
Samsung might have gotten points for having a fingerprint scanner... but they certainly won't get points for having a bad fingerprint scanner. It looks like they were just trying to check off boxes on a spec sheet. Swing and a miss...