or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

I thought you had to show proof that your thing works before they will grant you a patent? Otherwise... it really is just an idea... a dream.Apple's patents in this court case are for things they are currently using in shipping hardware... they're not some idea on a chalkboard.As for patent trolls... some companies buy patents from another company... even if they aren't gonna use them.But that goes back to my first question... didn't the first company who was granted the...
I wish Apple would at least give me the chance to try a larger iPhone. That's the choice I want.There have been phones larger than 4" for years... just not any made by Apple.
Speaking of Ford... imagine if the only car Ford sold was the sub-compact Ford Fiesta? How would their sales be? Or their earnings?Good thing Ford sells a wide range of vehicles.... from small to large.I never understood Apple's insistence on a single size for their smartphone. Apple's other product lines offer multiple sizes:2 sizes of iPads2 sizes of iMacs3 sizes of laptops (used to be 4 sizes!)
I was under the impression that you cannot patent an idea... but you can patent a specific implementation of an idea.
Huh?There were over 200 million Android phones sold last quarter. But Samsung only sold about 80 million Android phones last quarter.Samsung may be the largest Android manufacturer... but they're clearly not the only Android manufacturer.
True... although I think it's more of a "black hole" So where do we go from here? In a couple weeks Apple will give their quarterly results. And shortly after... a dozen analysts will give their results. Will they really mean anything?There will be an article on AppleInsider telling us how Apple is losing market share in tablets... prompting 600 comments... as usual.And Apple will live to fight another day as one of the most, if not THE most profitable company on Earth......
You're right... Samsung doesn't release numbers at all.The numbers we do get are from analysts using their own research, tracking methods and other sources.I don't see how Samsung could possibly mislead people by fudging the numbers... when it's a bunch of 3rd parties who are gathering this data.I might not have the highest regard for Samsung... but I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with the numbers presented by IDC, Strategy Analytics, etc. Those analytics firms...
Yes... Amazon tablets are selling. Well we think they are. All we get are analyst's estimates of shipments.Amazon only has significant Kindle Fire movement during the Holiday quarter. (but they're not really that great overall)Last quarter (which included Christmas sales)... Amazon shipped 5.8 million Kindle Fire tablets... for 7.6% of the worldwide tablet market.But the rest of the year Amazon doesn't ship too many Kindle Fires and thus doesn't have much market share....
The estimates are that Samsung sold 82 million smartphones last quarter. It's gotta be somewhere in the ballpark.But Samsung doesn't tell us which models those actually were.All that anyone ever talks about are their flagship phones... Galaxy S, Galaxy Note, etc. And with good reason... those are nice phones that get a lot of attention. Those models are the face of the company. The image of Samsung. Their halo products.But if I was to guess... I'd say that the bulk of...