or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Guys... I think we are all in agreement that car makers have to install some kind of "special sauce" in order for CarPlay to work in their cars. Apple provides this "special sauce"... and the car makers take that and integrates it into their particular infotainment system. The car should already have some sort of touchscreen... and there's probably a whole bunch of other requirements that we're unaware of. (If anyone can get their hands on Apple's CarPlay integration...
I never said "iOS" is installed in the car.I said the factory in-dash system has to have "something" from Apple installed on it in order to have CarPlay.You can't just plug your iPhone into any car to get this:From my understanding... CarPlay is simply a software overlay that is placed on top of the existing system.But it's still some additional software that the car maker must get from Apple.And their in-dash systems need to be built to support it.
But it will be eventually.I didn't expect a lot of 2015 cars to support CarPlay or Android Auto. Hyundai seems to be an anomaly.You're right... car makers usually work at a glacial pace when trying anything new.It might take until 2016 or 2017 for cars to feature these new systems. But it will happen.There were 30 car brands on the screen at the Apple keynote. I'm sure Apple had already established relationships with those car makers.Toyota was one of those brands... so...
Yes... that's how CarPlay works.But the in-dash system still has to support it.There is some software from Apple that has to be integrated into the factory system from Ford, Chevy, etc.It will require cooperation between Apple and the car makers.
It reminds me of Jeff Goldblum's father in Independence Day:"You think they don't know what you know? Believe me, they know."
While true... I don't think Apple would make the process of integration so complicated that no one would even bother. I would imagine Apple had engineers working with the top automotive electronics systems when they were developing CarPlay.Hyundai had Carplay working in the 2015 Sonata less than a year after CarPlay was announced to the public... though it's possible that Hyundai had access to CarPlay before the public announcement.Apple would like as many automakers as...
No... not even close.There were over 300 million Android phones shipped last quarter... but only 75 million of them were made by Samsung.By my math... Samsung was only 25% of Android last quarter... not "most" of Android.There were 1.1 billion Android phones shipped in all of 2014... but only 318 million were made by Samsung.Samsung was roughly 29% of Android in 2014. Again... not "most" of Android.I don't know where this myth originated. It might have been true long...
I think when people say "sold" they mean "sold to consumer"Anything prior to that would be considered "shipped"At least that's my interpretation of this age-old argument You're right... Apple Stores handle the "shipped to store" and "sold to consumer" within the same walls. The iPhone belongs to Apple until it is "sold" to the consumer.Carriers, however, buy the iPhones from Apple to resell them in their own stores. Apple would record revenue when that transaction takes...
Well... the title on the chart in this article clearly says "Shipment Market Share"So I would assume they mean the "Sell-in" to the channel... which are shipments from the manufacturer to the reseller.The alternative is "Sell-though" which refers to consumers... which this chart is not showing.As for warehouses... the joke is that no one wants Android phones so they just get locked up in a warehouse. (think Indiana Jones)While funny... that can't be true. If Android...
What if you "use" it for licensing? Would that be enough?Not everyone who comes up with an idea has the desire, or the ability, to make a shipping product. They might just want to licence it to others.(I'm not talking about this case in particular... just in general.)