or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Great movie! I wish I had seen the play.
I wonder why Samsung didn't use Google for payment processing? Google is more than capable of that.Is this the beginnings of Samsung trying to get away from Google and/or Android?Even if Samsung sticks with Google... there's gonna be a lot of cooks stirring the pot.You'll have Samsung supplying the hardware and TouchWiz... Google providing the OS and services... and PayPal handling payments.That seems needlessly complicated.
It had to start sometime though.If the 64-bit processor came out in 2012... it may have taken until 2014 to see the benefits. And we would have had this same conversation a year ago.But since it came out in 2013... it may take until 2015 to see the benefits.Yeah... it's always about future devices. The current devices would never had seen an immediate change because of this.The good news is... Apple has finally planted the 64-bit flag in the ground... and now everyone can...
Samsung might have gotten points for having a fingerprint scanner... but they certainly won't get points for having a bad fingerprint scanner. It looks like they were just trying to check off boxes on a spec sheet. Swing and a miss...
Apple is the #2 smartphone manufacturer by unit sales. And as a result... they have the 2nd highest market share out of all manufacturers.If that's game over... then what hope do #3, #4, #5, #6 and below have?If being #2 is a failure... god help the DOZENS of companies who sell even fewer phones than Apple.
Question: Why target Apple's minority tablet platform over Android which supposedly owns a 61.9 percent market share? Answer: Because market share isn't as important as you think it is. Market share is simply the percentage of things sold over the last quarter. ALL things. Tablet market share includes iPads, Samsung tablets, Asus tablets, and all those cheap terrible tablets sold around the world. But Android tablets make up a lot of units sold and thus a huge...
That sounds about right. Thanks for figuring that out. The big takeaway from these discussions is that it's rather difficult to compare Apple and Samsung. They are two vastly different smartphone manufacturers.Samsung sells low-end, mid-range and high-end phones. They are a full-line manufacturer.On the other hand... Apple's phones start at $450... but most of their sales are actually their $650+ models. Apple has a much narrower market.Apple has ZERO percent of the...
One person said "Android buyers are cheap" and another person said "Samsung makes phones that cost as much as an iPhone or more"And I said "Samsung also sells phones that cost a lot less" and it spiraled from there.
You can make a profit on any product at any price. You just have to charge more than what it costs to produce, market, ship, etc.Samsung is no dummy... they know how to make a profit from their products.But I just don't think they're selling as many flagship phones as the profit leads you to believe.Out of 82 million smartphones sold last quarter... do you think they sold 40 million Galaxy S4? 50 million Galaxy S4? I think they would be shouting from to rooftop if that...
But what about in the whole world?If Samsung sold 82 million smartphones worldwide last quarter... how many of those were the Galaxy S4? Or expensive flagship phones in general?Or... out of ALL the 280 million smartphones sold last quarter... how many of those were expensive phones?I agree with elroth... the cheaper phones tend to be the ones that make up most of the sales.Not that there's anything wrong with that