or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Did we every figure out what Anand Lal Shimpi is doing at Apple? This is now two former tech writers that are headed to Cupertino. Have there been any others?
Ummm.... I was talking about hardware upgrades.
Apple doesn't want people upgrading their $1,000 computers... why would they let them upgrade their watch? Oh sure. My bad.I mainly meant the things the Apple Watch will do on day-one will continue on day 1,000.People are still using iPads four years after they bought them. I suspect an Apple Watch will do everything it did at launch in four years too.Of course... Apple could pull the plug on old Apple Watches and force everyone to upgrade... but that's highly...
With the exception of the battery that can wear out over time... I don't see how the first-gen Apple Watch will be "obsolete" in two years.It's basically a 2nd screen for an iPhone... there's not a lot of stuff happening on the watch itself.Apple may add new sensors and features to future Apple watches... but the first Apple Watch will continue to do what it is supposed to do: notifications, Siri, health measurements, etc.
Yeah... I don't think Apple will have the same problems as other companies.The crazy thing is... the new Spaceship campus and the old Infinite Loop campus still isn't enough to house all of Apple's Silicon Valley-area employees. But Campus 2 will certainly put plenty of employees in one place.I wonder if they are planning Apple Campus 3 yet?
Define commercial drone.Is this so I can legally accept money to video something from the air?Anyone can fly a DJI Phantom and shoot video for personal use. But the moment you get paid for a real estate video... it's illegal.I'll take the FAA test, stay within eyesight, and obey the 500 foot rule... I just want legally use quadcopter footage for videography.
I simply asked if unit sales can grow forever... but I already knew the answer:They can't.You're right... I jumped on the hyperbole train. "Forever" was a little crazy to even mention.Thanks for pointing out my ridiculous comment (even though no one else did) On topic: Yes... the iPhone went from 51 million in Holiday 2013 to 74.5 million in Holiday 2014. Like you said... almost 50% growth. Amazing numbers... no doubt.But wouldn't going from a 50% increase YoY to only...
I originally asked "no company can grow unit sales forever, right?"And you launched into a whole thing.Are you saying unit sales can grow forever?I agree eternity is a long time. And it might have been a crazy choice of words. However... we've seen units sales growth stop in just a matter of years.Yes... iPhone unit sales have increased, year over year, since 2007. And there's no reason why they can't grow some more. I'd love to see that.But there will be a point where...
Oh of course.Even if Apple sold only 100 million iPhones... every quarter... for the rest of our lives... they will be fine.
I loved the alien bit Look... I'm not saying Apple cannot grow iPhone unit sales anymore. Apple just had its biggest Holiday quarter EVER selling 75 million iPhones. I think that number could be 90 million this year... and maybe even 120 million in a future Holiday quarter.But 200 million in a Holiday quarter? 300 million in a Holiday quarter? Maybe not.At that point... the iPhone will have reached its apex. Agreed?In your first point above... you realize a company's...