or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

But what about in the whole world?If Samsung sold 82 million smartphones worldwide last quarter... how many of those were the Galaxy S4? Or expensive flagship phones in general?Or... out of ALL the 280 million smartphones sold last quarter... how many of those were expensive phones?I agree with elroth... the cheaper phones tend to be the ones that make up most of the sales.Not that there's anything wrong with that
Some of Samsung's devices are flagship models that are on-par with Apple's prices. But not all Samsung phones are like that.The Samsung Duo Y sold in India, for instance, is roughly $108Apple does not have any models in that price range. Apple's phones start at $450... but the majority of iPhones sold are actually the $650+ models.Android phones, in general, have an average selling price of around $300But the iPhone's average selling price is above $600It's really not...
Exactly. Perhaps it's time for Apple to ditch hard-coded pixel dimensions too.Does it still make sense for an app to have two of each image asset?Image.pngImage@2x.pngWhy have both? The @2x image will just scale down on a non-Retina screen... and will look the same as the lower-rez image anyway. I don't see the point in having both.When you are designing your app... you start by creating the bigger image in the first place. Then you have to make a 2nd smaller copy. It...
But they've had Macworld for the last 3 years without Apple.I was just wondering why they changed the date.
Wait... I thought MacWorld was always in January... did they change it?
Would it be better if HTC launched halfway between Samsung and Apple? Like in Summer?It's crazy that anyone even attempts to launch anywhere close to either of them.
There should always be something from your favorite manufacturer when you go to buy your next phone in 2 years.Your brother's situation was kind of an anomaly with the HTC One not being on Verizon yet. They had the DNA, right?But for any other manufacturer... you can walk into a store at any time of the year and find a phone.It's tricky though... how do you make your phone appealing to someone in April... and to someone in October? The "once-a-year" release schedule can...
Yeah I agree that companies should have a schedule for releasing their flagship phone. That might improve the situation.Then again... 2 years will have passed since a person bought their last phone. Who says they will stick with the same manufacturer?Do you think HTC chose to launch the HTC One today because they know a huge number of people have their contracts expiring soon?I'm not sure the carriers share that much data. But they could. I've never thought about...
Yep! That goes without saying. Apple is unique I was just explaining that contracts expire every day. And that there's no perfect time for a company to launch a phone.But yes... iPhone launches are a huge event
I guess it depends on what you think is significant.Apple sold 26 million iPhones and 26.9 million iPhones in the quarters 6 months and 9 months after the launch of the iPhone 4SSure... it's not as many as the first two quarters of the iPhone 4S launch... where they sold 37 million and 35 million respectively.But my point is... people still buy iPhones when they know a new one is around the corner. And even when a major redesign is approaching.72 million for the first...