or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Forgive me...
OK... you win
Exactly.I'm guessing these CNN staffers have been using their iPads for years... have everything set up already ... and it works for them.But one day they come to work and are expected to drop their iPad and use something else? Pssshhh.Satya Nadella could have been on that CNN set... and people would still want to use their iPad because it's theirs.If Microsoft was smart... they would have prevented iPads from becoming so entrenched in the industry. But they couldn't......
True... I was just saying that the current iPhone's starting price remains at $649You're right... Apple's iPhone ASP is usually somewhere between $650-700... and it will probably go higher.However... Android's ASP has fallen sharply in the past few years.That was the point I was trying to make.Android ASP was $441 in 2010.... but it dropped to $276 in 2013Yikes!
The funny thing is... Apple didn't really do anything.The Android OEMs are all fighting with each other... driving prices down... hurting their own margins. It's a bloodbath.Meanwhile... Apple's smartphone prices are basically the same as they've been for years. It's Apple just being Apple.Like I said before with regards to Windows PC vs Macs... Apple didn't set out to destroy Windows OEMs... they kinda did it to themselves!
Yep! It's tough to be an Android manufacturer in such a crowded market. And yet... the iPhone selling quite well.This reminds me of the Windows PC market in comparison to Macs.A dozen PC manufacturers all fighting with each other... all selling basically the same products... in a price war... driving margins down in a "race to the bottom"Look at all the corpses in the PC market... companies who are either completely gone... or who were sold to other struggling...
Very true.While Samsung is the largest single Android vendor... there are more non-Samsung Android phones being sold today.There were roughly 280 million Android phones shipped last quarter... but only 78 million were made by Samsung.It used to be when you thought about Android you thought about Samsung. Those days are clearly over.
We probably won't be able to see the iPhone gain market share in any of these charts. Why? Because of the ever-increasing number of Android phones being pumped into the market. In Q2 there were 230 million Android phones shipped. In Q3 that number ballooned to 280 million. Android is still growing. Hell... the market is still growing. Will Apple have another record-setting Q4 selling more iPhones than they ever have before? ABSOLUTELY Will that affect iPhone vs...
It would almost have to be based on retail price for simplicity's sake.But I see what you mean.I was just trying to figure out a way to pull the crappy super-cheap phones out of the mix. Right now... ALL smartphones get counted the same.Yes... the Moto G is a great phone at a low price. However... most "smartphones" with low prices are terrible.I've always wondered what phones occupy the "Others" list. I'm fairly certain many (most?) are of the crappy super-cheap...
I think it's finally time to start breaking down the smartphone market into different segments. There needs to be clear distinctions between low-end, mid-range and high-end smartphones. A $75 smartphone should not be on the same list as a $400 smartphone or an $800 smartphone. But that's exactly how it's presented. Reports say 327 million "smartphones" were shipped last quarter... without any further explanation. And that doesn't really help much.