or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Good points.Let's be honest though... this is Microsoft's attempt to grab some tablet market share. Whatever Windows 8 tablets Dell or HP are planning on producing... those tablets will be a tiny percentage of the products they sell. Laptops and desktops will still be the bulk of their sales.If you think about it that way... it's not really that bad.I mean... right now NOBODY is selling Windows 8 tablets... so everybody is even. And we don't even know how well these...
If there are 5 OEMs planning to sell Windows 8 tablets in the Fall… now there will be 6 If the OEMs are worried about an additional competitor… then they better step up their game. Every PC manufacturer already fights for relevance in this crowded market… this is no different. Maybe this will light a fire under their ass to make better products.
Apple, the computer company, almost went bankrupt... then they came back and started making MP3 players, phones and tablets. It was one of the greatest comebacks of all time. Read more...If that's not reinvention... I don't know what is. And that was the basis of my very first comment in this thread.But I think we've defined the word "reinvention" enough. I'm just gonna say a couple more things.Bottom line... Apple has only been making cell phones for 5 years... and...
True... but a lot of people buy a phone because it's a phone. They don't really care what operating system it has on it.I know tons of people with Android phones... and most of them have their phones looking exactly like the day they bought it.They call, text and Facebook. That's it. They're not customizing the interface and installing ROMs.So what does it mean when Android is outselling iOS? Is Android somehow "better" because it outsells the iPhone?
True.... or it's an ultrabook with a touchscreen and a removable keyboard.I'm speaking, of course, about the Windows 8 Pro version. For those who need full Windows on a thin and light device... it's a pretty good idea. And let's face it... there are a lot of people who still use Windows.The Windows RT version is rubbish, however... and I see no point in buying a Windows RT tablet over an iPad.
In reading through Nokia's history... I wouldn't exactly say they have reinvented themselves. They are an industrial conglomerate... and buying up companies and expanding into new markets is kinda what happens naturally.Nokia Ab (the paper company) almost went bankrupt after the first World War in 1919... so I guess there's that.Finnish Rubber Works acquired Nokia... and also went on to acquire Finnish Cable Works. All three companies were jointly owned.The Nokia we know...
Let ME break down what I said:- "Apple also has a habit of re-inventing themselves and entering new markets."This is true. Apple has re-invented themselves AND entered new markets.- "I just don't think companies like Nokia are able to do that."The "I don't think" part is an indicator of an OPINION. Had I worded it differently... you could certainly call me on that. But, as written, I don't think they have it in 'em. Feel free to disagree.You seem convinced that Nokia...
Wait a minute... earlier you said I implied that. Remember?Sorry if what I said sounded like a claim... I seriously didn't intend it to be.Anyway... you've told me TWICE to go back and look at Nokia's history... which I have. But you never say anything beyond that.What, specifically, am I looking for in Nokia's history?Thanks to you... I've learned more about Nokia in the past 2 days than I ever knew before. They have some interesting history. But none of that can...
I agree.Even if Apple does come out with some amazing new payment technology... in the short term... only a handful of retailers will even use it. Who knows how long it will take to become as ubiquitous as accepting credit cards is now.Right now... I can swipe my debit card anywhere cards are accepted... which is pretty much everywhere. I, personally, never have a problem with that.
I did.In the early days... Nokia was involved in making wood pulp, cables, rubber, footwear, tires, electrical generation, etc. Then in the 1960s they got into semiconductors, electronics, televisions, and telecommunications. In short... Nokia made all sorts of stuff.However... in the 1980s Nokia spun off their tire manufacturing and rubber boot manufacturing. And during the 1990s... Nokia divested itself of all of its non-telecommunications businesses.Face it... Nokia...