or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

In the United States... Apple is #1 and Samsung #2 in sales. And in the entire world... Samsung is #1 and Apple #2 in sales. It's clear both those companies are doing something right... making billions of dollars... and will be around for a long time. So... what about the rest of the industry? Aren't those other companies the ones we should be worried about?
There are plenty of places on Earth where you can buy an Android phone, unlocked, for $160. That's where Android gets most of its colossal market share. You might not see them... but they're out there.Take India and China for example. Two countries with over a billion people each... and the iPhone there costs 3 to 4 times more than an Android phone.And people wonder why Android has 70% worldwide smartphone market share... and Apple only has 20%I'm from the United...
That's kinda my point.Android phones collectively outselling Apple phones don't really hurt anyone at all.
So would you say the current breed of Android phones are as good as the iPhone?And I mean ALL Android phones... not just flagship phones like the Galaxy SIII and Galaxy Note II.That includes all those cheap little Android phones sold today around the world... with 480x320 screens and VGA cameras. There are a TON of them that are sold for $150 unlocked.Those make up the majority of the Android phones that are "outselling" the iPhone... FYISo is it really the number of...
I haven't had a problem with Apple Maps finding an address... even a log cabin up a dirt road way up in the mountains of North Carolina. Most addresses have been around for years and years... unless it's a brand new subdivision or shopping center parkway. Map/address data has been around for years. If Apple is using that data... there shouldn't be a problem finding an address directly. However... Apple Maps falls short for me sometimes with POI data. For instance......
By "specially coded apps" you mean creating artwork that fits exactly within the iPad's screen parameters? That's really not as oddball as you think.But don't take my word for it.... look at all the apps made for the "difficult to design for" iPad.And compare that to the apps made for the "just throw whatever you can onto the screen" Android tablets.Look... I know what you're saying. But Apple creating a spec and developers following that spec down to the pixel isn't as...
LOL... that was just until developers got on-board with making beautiful iPad tablet apps that ran natively.How did they do in that department?
Not really...All iPads have the same aspect ratio... which solves one problem. And the Retina/non-Retina issue is handled by making graphical assets @2XAny app designed for a Retina iPad will work on the iPad 2 or iPad Mini. iPads are actually the least worrisome.The iPhone and iPod Touch did undergo a change in aspect ratio (one change in 6 years... the horror) so developers had some extra work to do. But I think it's safe to say that the iPhone and the iPod Touch will...
What I'm hearing is:Android: large screen... poor OSiPhone: small screen... great OSI'm sick of that division. Call me crazy... I want a bigger screened iPhone.
Agreed. Market share should be considered... but it's not the be-all-end-all.Some would say Android is dominating with their market share position of 70%. But that could also broken down by countries, carriers and phone capabilities.No one doubts that Android phones sell like hotcakes all around the globe. But what should also be considered is how many of them are cheap underpowered phones running Gingerbread today... or the fact that some countries don't have access to...