or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Oh ok... those cheap pre-paid Android phones. Essentially the "burners" of this generation.Doesn't this fall under the category of "you get what you pay for" ?Wouldn't a $299 Nexus 4 be a much better phone?
If we're talking about the US market... how many people buy phones off-contract?As for on-contract... the more expensive current iPhone handily outsells the cheaper, older versions. I once saw an estimate that 89% of iPhones sold were the $200+ on-contract phone... not many people are interested in the the $100 iPhone or "free" iPhone.Same for the iPad. The $500+ iPad handily outsold the cheaper iPad 2 (but now the iPad mini will be interesting to watch)I guess the...
iPhone 5 launch propels Apple to 53% of US smartphone salesAs for total installed base... I have no idea.But iPhones are pretty darn popular in the US.
Oh there's definitely a low-end tablet market. I was just saying that this article has a fantastic headline that is a complete sham.This article is based on web usage... not market share.Market share is calculated by taking the company's sales over the period and dividing it by the total sales of the industry over the same period.So.... take all the iPads sold over the holidays... and compare that to all the Kindle Fires sold over the holidays... and tell me how the...
Then... in a couple weeks Apple will tell us that they sold tens of millions of iPads this past quarter... while we're still guessing how many Kindles Amazon sold."Kindle Fire gains market share over iPad" will be a shortlived celebration.
True... Samsung makes great devices. But read the article I linked earlier: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Samsung-Apple-iOS-Android-Ecosystem,19805.htmlEven a Samsung executive thinks most of their products are "device-centric." They're experienced by themselves. They're not experienced in a connected way.Your example of a fridge, microwave and PC monitor is the perfect example of what he was talking about in the article... a bunch of devices that have little to do...
Very true.... music and television are very different industries.I just feel confident that IF something can be done to revolutionize television... Apple would be able to do something before some random electronics manufacturer.Or... nothing can be done at all... and this is all a bunch of nonsense. In which case Apple has every TV manufacturer scrambling to come up with something new... while Apple sits back and laughs Hell... look at Samsung: "we are launching a TV with...
Tim Cook: Let's let everybody else waste a bunch of time and money on TV and stumble... while we sit back and refine our plans.Google TV is 2 years old... didn't Eric Schmidt say we would all be using it by now?It reminds me of the iPod. Apple certainly didn't invent the MP3 player... but they waited and developed a compelling product.But Apple didn't stop there... they also made a store to buy music. A simple idea... but they were the ones to do it.That's one thing...
The only problem I see is that Android apps are designed for touch... while your Mac and (most) Windows PCs don't have touchscreens.Interesting concept... but I'm still confused about the execution...My point was... iOS will still be a compelling platform even if iOS doesn't have the most market share.Hell... right now Android phones have 75% market share while the iPhone has 15%. And yet developers are still developing apps for the iPhone by the bucketload.We were...
So much digital ink has been written about this particular device... primarily because of the scandal. But is this the only large battery charging station in existence? I mean... if this device never gets made through Kickstarter... are there any other ones like it? Is it THAT big of a deal? Or are we just reading about it because of Apple's policies?