or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

In reading through Nokia's history... I wouldn't exactly say they have reinvented themselves. They are an industrial conglomerate... and buying up companies and expanding into new markets is kinda what happens naturally.Nokia Ab (the paper company) almost went bankrupt after the first World War in 1919... so I guess there's that.Finnish Rubber Works acquired Nokia... and also went on to acquire Finnish Cable Works. All three companies were jointly owned.The Nokia we know...
Let ME break down what I said:- "Apple also has a habit of re-inventing themselves and entering new markets."This is true. Apple has re-invented themselves AND entered new markets.- "I just don't think companies like Nokia are able to do that."The "I don't think" part is an indicator of an OPINION. Had I worded it differently... you could certainly call me on that. But, as written, I don't think they have it in 'em. Feel free to disagree.You seem convinced that Nokia...
Wait a minute... earlier you said I implied that. Remember?Sorry if what I said sounded like a claim... I seriously didn't intend it to be.Anyway... you've told me TWICE to go back and look at Nokia's history... which I have. But you never say anything beyond that.What, specifically, am I looking for in Nokia's history?Thanks to you... I've learned more about Nokia in the past 2 days than I ever knew before. They have some interesting history. But none of that can...
I agree.Even if Apple does come out with some amazing new payment technology... in the short term... only a handful of retailers will even use it. Who knows how long it will take to become as ubiquitous as accepting credit cards is now.Right now... I can swipe my debit card anywhere cards are accepted... which is pretty much everywhere. I, personally, never have a problem with that.
I did.In the early days... Nokia was involved in making wood pulp, cables, rubber, footwear, tires, electrical generation, etc. Then in the 1960s they got into semiconductors, electronics, televisions, and telecommunications. In short... Nokia made all sorts of stuff.However... in the 1980s Nokia spun off their tire manufacturing and rubber boot manufacturing. And during the 1990s... Nokia divested itself of all of its non-telecommunications businesses.Face it... Nokia...
Who said Apple is the only company who can reverse issues? Lots of companies had some bad times and came back. But other companies didn't.Apple was saved when Steve came back and fixed their product line. They really only had one major product line at the time... Macintosh computers. And it was a mess. After a little housekeeping, the funky-colored iMacs put Apple back on the map. That was only step 1Apple didn't just stick to computers... they branched out. Like we've...
You're right... Nokia has had a wonderful history.But now we're talking about the present and future.Check the headline of this article again for context.Like SolipsismX asked... what's their phoenix? Their return to greatness? I'm sorry to keep mentioning Apple... but where's Nokia's iPod, iPhone and iPad?The tone of your comment is that a 147 year old company should be able to weather any storm.But they're not...Let's be clear... I have nothing against Nokia. I...
Ummmm... I know.Read the rest of my comments...I'm the first person to trumpet profit over unit sales.
And that's perfectly fine! Apple is currently losing in the "who sells the most phones" race.... but they're picking up steam in the "maximizing profit and sustainability" race. One of those might actually be more important than the other :-)If we're talking about unit sales... Apple has certainly dominated in MP3 players and tablets. The same can't be said for their efforts in the phone and computer markets.... but I don't think they're in any kind of danger. Samsung...
I remember people raving about the Nokia N95... though I never saw the appeal.It was branded as a smartphone... but didn't have a QWERTY keyboard or a touchscreen.Yes... I realize it was released way back in 2007... but there were plenty of other phones that did have QWERTY keyboards and touchscreens (with a stylus)Was the Nokia N95 a hit in the enterprise? Or was it popular because of its camera and multimedia capabilities?Again... I never saw its appeal... even in its...