or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Exactly.How long has the Mac been in 2nd place to DOS/Windows machines... almost 30 years? Did Apple ever quit because of that? No!!!Having the most marketshare is a nice trophy to have... but Apple is one of the most successful companies in the world despite not having the most marketshare in certain areas.
Haha... so true.That's like basing your restaurant's success on how many meals you sell.... but 50% of the meals make your customers sick... Sure... Android has the most marketshare... but how come no one ever talks about all the crappy Android phones out there?Shouldn't those weigh against Android in some way?
That's what I want to know.Pure address data shouldn't be hard to get. Most roads have been around for a while and the GIS data should be accurate. I can type an address into Apple Maps and it finds it with no problem. It found a rental cabin up a dirt road deep in the mountains of North Carolina. Again... it was an address that's probably been in the system for 50 years... and Apple handled it fine.So now we must look at the other issue... points-of-interest. This data...
Exactly.Steve Jobs wanted to emulate Sony back when Sony was profitable and was the consumer electronics giant.Now it's the other way around... Sony wishes it could have a fraction of the success of Apple...
You're right... Apple and Sony don't have much in common as corporations or through their heritage.But the question was.... will Apple ever slip into irrelevance (like Sony has with televisions, for instance)In the context of what was said in the interview... Brian Williams said when he was a child having a Sony Trinitron was a big deal.Nowadays... Sony TVs aren't a big deal anymore.They weren't talking about Apple as a whole and Sony as a whole. It was more about Sony...
I dunno... would you really spend a couple hundred dollars on a "practice" Android tablet?Even if butterfingers run in your family... it might be better to put that money into an Otterbox for the iPad... rather than buying an Android tablet (they don't even want) to test their handling skills.Maybe get some juggling lessons first instead of wasting money on an Android tablet
Then maybe people will realize that market share just isn't a big deal after all. It certainly is fun for us to talk about market share on a forum. But outside of those market share "bragging rights"... who cares?You're right... the Mac is a niche product... and it has NEVER had a market share advantage over Microsoft PCs... in 28 years.So what?It happened with phones about 2 years ago... and it will probably happen again in tablets too.Again... so what?Is the goal merely...
See... I don't quite agree (surprise) Microsoft had tablets for over a decade. But as others have said... Microsoft just shoehorned Windows XP into a thick heavy tablet. It was mostly a usability failure (a non-touch OS on a touch device) and definitely a commercial failure (based of the percentage of tablet PCs vs standard PCs)I will absolutely give Bill Gates credit for his vision... but his execution simply fell short.Now for the iPad...You're right... at the most...
For the sake of argument... let's say the iPad isn't innovative...So what can we say about all the other companies who also ventured down the tablet road?If the iPad is "just a big iPod Touch"... what are all those other guys' tablets?Just like your picture earlier... Picard and Gates had tablets a decade before the iPad. So yeah... I can kinda see why the iPad might be considered derivative.But doesn't that apply to every tablet that came after the iPad too?Did anyone...
I'm not sure Apple sells boatloads of the iPad 2.There are articles that estimate that the cheaper iPad 2 is only 18% of iPad sales. Apparently the more expensive $500+ iPad was the bulk of sales.I guess people had the $399 base price in mind as they entered the store.... but that extra $100 to step up to the beautiful Retina display was a deal too good to pass up.It will be interesting to see how the new $329 base price and the smaller form factor will do... and if it...