or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Sorry to "shift" the argument but I was still referring to your comment about developers eventually preferring Android. I'm just not seeing that.Since you mentioned the Asian markets... how many of those phones can even run all of the latest apps and games?The problem Android developers are already having is a lot of that Android market share is made up of less-than-capable phones.... or people who don't use apps at all. And that number will increase for sure... which...
Top 10.... where?Is the Galaxy Nexus the #1 phone in China? India? Those are two HUGE countries that are contributing far more to Android's market share than any other country.Like I said earlier... the average price of an Android phone in China is $220.That means there are phones above $220..... but that also means there are many phones below $220Do you realize how many crappy phones you'd have to sell to bring the average down to $220?Contrary to popular belief......
Fine... forget everything I said about the Mac... let's stick to iOS.70% to 20% sounds bad... right?But it's really not. Even though the iPhone only has 20% of worldwide smartphone market share... the iPhone is still doing ridiculously well.I'M SAYING THE MARKET SHARE NUMBERS DON'T MATTEREven if it ended up being Android 90% and Apple 5%... there would still be hundreds of millions of iPhones out in the world. And tons of people buying apps, games, cases and accessories....
You missed my point.Is the Mac a popular platform despite only having a tiny percentage of market share? YESAre Mac developers making money? YESYou don't have to be #1 to be in the game.iOS is only 20% to Android's 70%.... and yet iOS is the more desirable platform for developers.
Oh geez... The iPhone 4 actually costs $450...
For sure... Apple in the 90s was a bad situation.And that was kinda my point... Apple today is nowhere like that (even if they face a similar market share disadvantage once again)Even with the Mac at 8% market share... people still love their Macs and developers keep making money selling Mac software. That's the key.My point was... you don't need a lot of market share (or even a significant amount) to stay relevant. And I was saying that in response to your "tipping...
Good points. However... you do need to realize that Android is the OS of choice on the cheaper phones. Apple doesn't represent those markets (yet)There are plenty of people around the world who can only afford a $100 or $200 unlocked phone. I'm certainly not saying "Android is only for poor people" but it's fair to say that a certain percentage of Android users are low income or 3rd world customers.In the world's largest market... China... the average price for an...
I agree with your premise. However... the Mac has always had single-digit market share compared to Windows... but it still has PLENTY of great software available.If you were a developer... you'd think Windows is the place to be since there are so many potential customers. But how many of those customers actually purchase software? (excluding MS Office... that another thing altogether)The Mac is still around today despite getting creamed by Windows decade after decade. ...
Damn... Nokia is in 3rd place.... I feel bad for 4th, 5th, 6th place and so on. Not that it's a contest or anything... but damn... Samsung and Apple are definitely forces to be reckoned with.
Well... they had to learn Android in the first place... coming from a flip-phone or no phone.I understand what you're saying... but still. I'd hardly call iOS "difficult to use" and if you've mastered Android first, iOS will be cake.And let's be honest... those $100 phones running Gingerbread aren't exactly a joy to use If they buy a cheap $100 phone because that's all they can afford... they're probably not spending a lot of money on apps and games. Probably not music...