or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

WTF man...People can base their car purchasing decisions on anything they want.I remember when rear-seat DVD players were a big deal. Lots of people chose vehicles specifically because they had those features. That had nothing to do with safety and everything to do with entertainment.BTW... using terms like "sub-human" and "brain damaged morons" really doesn't help whatever point you're trying to make.
Apple just had their best quarter ever... selling a record 75 million smartphones... and they still only had 20% quarterly market share.Here's why:The "market" is huge. Over 375 million total smartphones were shipped last quarter. Apple represented just 75 million of that... for a 20% "share"Apple will never be able to "eliminate" the other 80% or 300 million smartphones no matter how hard they try. But they don't need to... as they already make tons of money while never...
Surely Apple outlined what it would cost to implement CarPlay into their cars.If Toyota didn't like what Apple offered... they wouldn't have given Apple permission to list them as a CarPlay supporter.It's been almost a year since Apple announced CarPlay to the public.... though I bet their talks with the car makers started long before that.I wonder what Apple presented to Toyota in the first place... and what made them change their mind.It may be cost related... but it...
I'm sure we'll see more 2016-17 models with CarPlay. It will take some time.I read a comment basically saying it takes so long for auto electronics to be developed... that they are obsolete by the time you buy the car. That sounds about right... car makers sometimes run at a glacial pace for adopting new technology. Apple developed something new... but the car makers have to fit that into their schedule for testing and stuff.I applaud Hyundai for introducing CarPlay in...
According to this survey... Technology Makes or Breaks Car Purchase Decisionshttp://press.autotrader.com/2014-11-17-AutoTrader-com-Study-Shows-Technology-Makes-or-Breaks-Car-Purchase-Decisions"We live in a world now where nailing the basics – great ride and handling, reliability, compelling design – aren't enough to compensate for a lack of the latest safety and infotainment features""The study also revealed that ease-of-use is a key deciding factor for car shoppers, with...
The infotainment system is one of many things to consider when purchasing a car. But it's something you interact with every single day.You don't want to be stuck with a bad system for 5+ years.I didn't say Toyota will never sell another car because they don't offer CarPlay. But for a customer... it could be the deciding factor between a Toyota and some other car brand.
Which do you think Toyota cares about more... losing $200 from the yearly map upgrades... or losing $30,000 from not selling a car?If Toyota won't offer CarPlay or Android Auto... someone else will.Not offering those features might end up hurting Toyota as other car makers start including them in their cars.Someone may buy a Hyundai Sonata instead of a Toyota Camry because of those features.And like Solip said above... car makers could actually charge more for an...
I remember the one year Youtube was an independent company... and the following nine years it belonged to Google.Yes they sold out... a loooong time ago. Aren't there any more current events we can talk about?
No... writing and editing are not their only skills. But it's what they have done for 15-20 years and have quite a following from those skills. You'd think that's what Apple would be interested in.Apple has tens of thousands of engineers.But I wonder how many of them are noted tech writers? There can't be that many.Apple just hired Britain's hottest DJ Zane Lowe... perhaps they hired Chris Breen for his musical talents instead of his writing?Could be... but probably not.
Market share is like a report card at the end of the quarter. They add up all the units shipped in the entire market... then they figure out the percentage that belong to each individual manufacturer.It's simply a snapshot of the entire market over a period of time.So... considering Apple is extremely successful without having a lot of market share... would you say market share matters?