or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

Steve Jobs' truck vs car analogy was actually talking about full computers vs mobile tablets.Full computers will always be needed to run certain types of software... real Photoshop, video editing, CAD, etc.Those are the trucks.But most regular consumers simply need to do light duties like checking email, browsing social media, etc. A small light device can handle those tasks.Those are the cars.
Ouch...I guess this proves that people aren't buying Samsung phones like they used to (at least not their high-profit flagship phones)Now that I think about it... I wondered why Samsung phones were offered two-for-one just moments after launch. I always thought the carriers were taking the hit just to get people into the store.Now it appears that Samsung themselves are the ones giving deep discounts just to move product.I was clearly wrong earlier when I said Samsung was...
Gotcha... thanks.I'm curious though... how much discount does Samsung give the carriers?On a $500 phone... are they selling them to the carriers for $250 ?If so... yeah that would certainly destroy their profit.
No one is suggesting that Samsung the conglomerate will be going out of business following this news.But we're in the greatest time in smartphone history.And Samsung just had a huge drop in profits in smartphones.Someone at Samsung is freaking out now... probably a few someones...And I don't think Samsung's tablets and PCs will save the day either.
Yes...the carriers are subsidizing the Galaxy S4 and S5 and offering them to their wireless customers for "free" or $99 on-contract.But Samsung should still be getting the full retail price of $500 or $600 per phone. (and thus the full profit per phone)The subsidy exists between the carrier and the wireless customer... not the carrier and the manufacturer.No manufacturer will accept $100 for a $600 phone.So even if you walk out of the carrier store with a "free" Galaxy...
Of course.I was just trying to point out that falling market share isn't a death sentence... especially when you actually sell more units.Some companies can increase their market share and sell more units.Apple doesn't fall into that category at the moment... but I'm sure they're thrilled with the increased number of iPhones sold this quarter over last year at this time.And from a developer's standpoint... that's more iPhones added to an already huge (and lucrative)...
Yep!It's interesting though. There are companies who solely make software for the Mac... even though the Mac has never, and will never, have a meaningful amount of market share or installed base.But that doesn't bother those developers... they know exactly who they want to target... even if it's not the dominant platform.Agreed.The trend is that more people are buying phones running some version of Android... and it will remain like that for the foreseeable future.That's...
Galaxy standard?There were 280 million Android phones sold last quarter... but only 78 million of them were made by Samsung (and not all of them were Galaxy)I see what you're saying... Samsung is the largest and probably the most recognized Android OEM.But there are far more non-Samsung Android phones out there...
You also have to remember that market share is a percentage based on the size of the entire market at any given time.Apple's quarterly market share may go down... but they actually end up selling more phones. Weird, huh.Plus... while the iPhone only has 12% quarterly market share today... there are also about 500 million iPhones out in the world. And those iPhone owners tend to spend money.Would any sane developer abandon the iPhone at this point?That's why you can't get...
You're right... it's not all companies we've never heard of. But there are certainly companies on the list that we don't usually talk about.There are dozens of "Other" smartphone manufacturers around the world... primarily in China and India. Here's a sample:AirtymeCelkonGioneeIdeaIntexLavaLemonMaxxObiSaloraSpiceSwipeXoloYotaZen