or Connect

Posts by Michael Scrip

And every age in between.You realize Apple sold an average of 500,000 iPhones every day last quarter, right?Half-a-million a day.That's a lot of grandmas and grandkids...
The Galaxy line is Samsung's best-selling product line. However... it's not flagship phones like the Galaxy SIII that make up most of their sales.Last quarter Samsung sold 63 million smartphones... but only 15 million were the Galaxy SIII. That's less than 1/4Even if you added up all the Galaxy SII, SII and Galaxy Notes... that still might only be 1/3 of Samsung's smartphone sales.So what's left?Here's a Galaxy phone in India: Samsung Galaxy Y S5360It retails for around...
Wow... I never thought about cases before... that's a very good observation!I work in dance studios... so I'm around teens all the time. Almost every single smartphone in kid's and parent's hands is an iPhone. It's crazy. And yes... the variety of cases is astounding.Also... the little brothers are playing games on the iPod Touch while waiting for their sister to get out of dance class.I know the US is only a small part of the worldwide picture... but Apple is definitely...
So what's the catch?A Straight Talk customer could be using Verizon's towers for about $40 a month... but a Verizon customer will also be using Verizon's towers but have to pay at least $80 a month.How can that be? I never understood how an MVNO works.One thing I've heard is that Verizon's customers get priority over any other MVNO traffic... but is that all?
True... part of your monthly bill is the subsidy. But it's not that much of it.A 16GB iPhone, for instance, is $650... and you must pay $200 up front. The remaining $450 is spread out over 24 months... which works out to about $20 a month.The biggest part of your phone bill is the service itself. You're right... that's where the carriers make their money.I think the average monthly cell phone bill in the US is around $80 a month... so the carriers could be making around...
Good post.And don't forget... not every iPhone that is sold goes home to an existing iPhone owner who is upgrading.Apple sold an average of 500,000 iPhones every day last quarter. I suspect a hefty amount of them were sold to new iPhone owners.
Maybe this new "no contract" plan will help T-Mobile.Prior to that... T-Mobile has always offered competitive prices compared to "expensive" carriers like Verizon and AT&T... yet their subscribership is small. T-Mobile has been the 4th place carrier (out of 4) in the US for quite a while.It's not just basic arithmetic that kept people away from T-Mobile... it was coverage and phone selection.I guess it depends on where you live... but I know very few people who have...
That's what I was thinking. Sprint and T-Mobile have always been "value" carriers compared to Verizon and AT&T.Yet Verizon and AT&T have 2 to 3 times as many subscribers. I wonder why...Maybe you do get what you pay for I think it's great that T-Mobile is trying something new in the US. The no contract thing is nice... but you now have to buy your phone outright. And your monthly service will be cheaper on T-Mobile... but you may have poorer coverage.
You're basically getting an interest-free loan on a $650 phone spread out over two years... versus paying the $650 in one lump sum up front. That's a big deal to some people.If you're gonna stay with the carrier anyway... why not let them finance the phone?Plus... how often would people change carriers if they could? Every 6 months? That would be a hassle... porting your number and such.In the United States the carriers all use different frequencies and equipment... so...
If you think about it... that's exactly what they do. There are always 3 iPhones on the market at any one time... good, better, best.Right now it's the iPhone 4, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5. It just so happens that they are the 2010, 2011 and 2012 models. This year's "better" iPhone was last year's "best" iPhone. Apple didn't have to create another model to fill that midrange spot... they just kept iPhone 4S in production. It's a good way to down on costs.